Octopus in Gulf of Mexico

Please understand that I am a rank novice here. I associate octopuses with coral reefs, such as those I saw diving in the East China Sea off Okinawa while in the Marines 1969-71.
Are they to be found, and in any abundance, in the muckier waters of the northern Gulf of Mexico?

On the top of my head, besides Octopus Vulgaris or the Common Octopus, the Gulf of Mexico is home of the abundant species Mexican Four-Eyed Octopus (Octopus Maya). Plus, there is Octopus hummenlincki around Florida

A few species can be found there, apparently including mimics (which are known for muckier waters) - here's a reference for you:

A few species can be found there, apparently including mimics (which are known for muckier waters) - here's a reference for you:
Just what I wanted to know. Thanks.

In addition to O. hummelincki (two spot), O. vulgaris (common), possibly O. briareus (Caribbean common)there is the dwarf, O. jobini. The mimic mentioned in the above article is NOT Thaumoctopus mimicus and is most likely Macrotritopus Defilippi (Atlantic Mimic - yes, I know the Gulf is not part of the Atlantic, complain to the octopus). O. Maya is found to the south near the Yucatan should you decide to vacation there after you recertify :sagrin:. There is actually an artisanal university run farm there so you may even be able to use a trip for your studies. We don't have much about the farm but this link may get you started if it is of interest.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back