New Arrival

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Hope the little bugger's ok...at this point, you just have to sit back and wait...tearing around the tank anymore would probably be counter-productive....
fingers crossed here!
greg

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
yeah, good call Greg,

Now is a good time to be subtle and just let the wee guy come out on his own

No, no sightings yet. I was ready to give up and call him officially lost, but then I read a post by another member who had the same problem.

Stevesfish had a post: where he lost Bob on about May 14th and then another where Bob is back! on May 23rd , so this has given me new hope.

He searched all of the live rock and was 'positive' his octo was lost. Then a few days later he miracously appeared! So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed as well.

I wonder if I should put out some fresh scallops or shrimp to entice him...

Oh, and I saw some amphipod 'skeletons'. I'm not sure if they molt like shrimp, or if the octopus will eat them and discard the shell, etc. If so, maybe this is proof he is in there somewhere!

I'll have to start up the time lapse again.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Hi Lockburn,

Don't give up yet. Yes, put some food out, but if he has plenty of amphipods, he may go for those. He could be hiding out on the backside of your live rock.

Amphipods do molt and leave their shell - I suppose octos don't eat the outer shell, either.

We're all hoping he turns up again,

Nancy

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
A small filosus i had would eat amphipods and discard the exoskeletons so it could be a good sign that the octo is still there... tying a small shrimp to a bit of fishing line and dangling it about at the front might entice it out?

C

Well, its been almost a week, and I still have had no positive sighting yet.

I did put in a raw shrimp I bought from the grocery store today. My red serpent star immediately came out of the rock to grab a piece, but I didn't see the octo.

On the time lapse video I did see something move about one of the tank decorations. It was in the back, and not in focus, so I couldn't positively ID it. I would have thought it to be a hermit crab, if I hadn't removed all of them already (to avoid confusion with the time lapse). It could have been a large amphipod. It didn't really look like an octo, but then again, it wasn't in focus and didn't look like anything but a dark blob. But, something was definately there and moving. So, I've repositioned the camera and am hoping to get another glimpse of whatever it was.

-Warren

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Dude...Jaques Cousteau has nothing on you!!! I sure hope the octo is ok, and just being shy...I envy your ability to be high tech! wow!
greg

Hehe, thanks Greg, needed that laugh! I'll have to upload some of the time lapses when I get a chance. It's pretty wild to watch the star, shrimp, and hermits cruise around the tank. I'm pretty sure the 'blob' in the last video was a large amphipod, not my dear octo. But, I'm still watching. It's a week since I last saw him, but I'm still trying to keep my hopes up.

Latest Posts