Messy: is this pic for real?

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
If you actually have something to share with us all, and you DO - believe me, you DO, Mr. Cthulhu Avatar - double-posts are fine. None of us make a habit of it or anything like that, but don't worry.

Have you visited www.eatenbysquid.com?

I do this little show, you see...

erich orser said:
If you actually have something to share with us all, and you DO - believe me, you DO, Mr. Cthulhu Avatar - double-posts are fine. None of us make a habit of it or anything like that, but don't worry.
I do this little show, you see...

Eric,

You redefine the term "badass". :band:

John

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Graeme said:
is there not a species of squid that has one huge eys and one tiny eye? They both serve purpose of usage at different water depths... or something...

There is, in fact, a whole family - the Histioteuthidae - with asymmetric eyes. Maybe one of the other species looks more similar to the one you were thinking of? And there are several references on possible functions of the different eyes (just pulled these up on CephBase):

Young, R.E. 1975. Function of the dimorphic eyes in the midwater squid Histioteuthis dofleini. Pacific Science 29(2): 211-218.

Wentworth, S.L.; Muntz, W.R.A. 1989. Asymmetries in the sense organs and central nervous system of the squid Histioteuthis. Journal of Zoology, London. 219: 607-619.

Bitjukova Y.E.; Zuev, G.V. 1975. Evolution of squids of the family Histioteuthidae in relation to peculiarities of vision. Malacological Review. 11: 129-130.

Graeme

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Fujisawas Sake said:
"Blind Idiot God"? :mad: :cthulhu:

HERESY!

I should go there and slap the writer with all the power of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Ia ia, Cthulhu ftagn!

YARGH! it's wossisname! The eyeball!!! The eyeball covered in tentacles!!
No, I'm NOT raving! Seriously, tis another Mythos god

Ah, quite a handy site is Cephbase. Not always totally helpful regarding questions, but good taxonomic info there! I prefer this place, you get questions and queries answered properly!

Graeme- I'm not kissing anus here, I'm just sayin' it like it is.

Latest Posts