Megas Update

Mizu

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
well i guess if i am going to write weekly updates on Megas i should get a blog or something.
Megas is now into amusing himself. It seems to be the only explanation for some of his actions.
Currently in with Megas are 4 Snails (smallish don’t know what kind) Megas seems to take great pleasure in hunting down these Snails and taking them from whatever rock they are on and leaving them upside down on the bottom of the tank. i then come by at about 9pm every day and flip them upright. It seems these snails can not recover from being dumped on their back which to me seems like an odd survival trait.

SO
Last night i go get 4 Red Claw Crabs from the LFS. I place one of them in a clear plastic cup and fill it up about 3/4 of the way with Megas tank water. this leaves the top of the cup out of the water with 3/4 of it under water. Immediately Megas start his really intricate hunting routine where he will go the absolute longest way possible to the objective. Once he gets close he POUNCES RAAAA. And then realizes that he can’t get to the crab. He short of wrestle with the cup for a while and then decides MAGIC CRAB OF DOOM and Zipps off to the far corner of the tank and refuses to have anything to do with a force field using crab. So I finally just sink the whole cup to the bottom.
Megas takes less then a second to see that the force field is down and move in for the kill.
He attacks and eats the Crab
So as I am standing there about 3 hours later (Megas likes to take his time to eat) he starts with dropping the cleaned out carapace. i bend down for a closer look while Megas finishes up with the rest of it. So now there is a pile of empty crab parts and Megas pushes them toward me. I looked at him stupidly not getting the message and so he grabs the cup the Crab came in and most of a pile of Crab parts and SHOVES them toward me rather energetically. So finally getting the point i reach in and use the cup to scoop up all the crab pieces all within about 3 to 4 inches of Megas who just watched me.
I get the feeling i am sort of like an English butler. I bring the dinner i stand patiently by while it is eaten then i clear away the scraps.

Megas has astonished me with his personality.
Like if I feed him Frozen shrimp he will eat it but he wont come out to play for 2 days. Like he’s sulking.
He will spy on the family by climbing into my castle and pushing an eye out one of the windows.
weird.

The Crabs are interesting as well. i have never seen a crab move as fast as these Red Claws. They jump quite well are not afraid to Jump off the counter or my hand or anything really. i guess being armor plated lends to a sense of invincibility.

Have you guys ever watched you Octo scrub himself? like Megas will get all his tentecels going at once and just turn into this writhing ball of suckers and eyes. he does this for about 10 seconds and then kind of shakes himself and starts putting his Tentecles inside his mantle and picks the sand and stuff out of his (Gills?). When his arms get some thing on them he ties them in knots and rolls the knot down to the end of his arms. Strange.

and Can Octos get fat and if they can how can you tell?

Mizu said:
Have you guys ever watched you Octo scrub himself? like Megas will get all his tentecels going at once and just turn into this writhing ball of suckers and eyes. he does this for about 10 seconds and then kind of shakes himself and starts putting his Tentecles inside his mantle and picks the sand and stuff out of his (Gills?). When his arms get some thing on them he ties them in knots and rolls the knot down to the end of his arms. Strange.

OK, that's a relief. I was just going to ask today if that scrubbing behaivor was normal. I caught mine scrubbing at her eyes, head, and gills furiously and immediately got worried that there was something wrong with the water quality that was irritating her. Everything checked out so I was left hoping that she was just cleaning herself.

Sounds like Megas is quite the head of the household. I love how pronounced and unique their personalities are.

Mine seems to be possessive of her kills. When I tried to clean out the clam shells and the crab carcass, she got all huffy and tried to scare me off. Then when I came back and went to reach for the large snail shell by her den, she rushed over and jumped on it, wrapping all her arms around it as if to say, "It's mine! I killed it fair and square and you can't have it! Go get your own!"

-Jared

AHAHA
thats funny jared
They are quite the 2 year olds
MINE MINE
yeah see that over there in your hand? yeah THATS MINE.
:smile:

and see how we gush on about them as if they were our kids?
i have 3 kids and my youngest is just now 3
i see very clear similaities between Megas and Rhaynes behaviours.

brilliant!!

keep these updates comin there well good to hear!!

Also good as it helps prospective owners to understand whats gunna happen when theirs arrive!!

cheers

octo1.jpg

Megas with Dark coloration
octo2.jpg

Megas playing with his food dish
octo3.jpg

Megas eating (that bump in his webing is a crab)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back