• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Little Sucker

stradjm

Cuttlefish
Registered
This thread is for my new octopus (O. Aculeatus?). How I got him is here:

http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/6100/

I didn't see him all day today. Then, when I was surfing the internet tonight I looked up and there he was, on the side of tank staring at me. I watched him for a bit before he seemed to get startled and swim away. He didn't just swim, though---he made his arms go stiff and wrinkled so they looked like algae; he held this pose and floated around for a bit, then went smooth and hid under a rock. Perhaps more evidence that he is indeed an Aculeatus?

Will post some pics once he's more comfortable with light.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Neat name, sounds like a really fun octopus too ! Now, if you could get him to type...

greg

Akyu

GPO
Registered
Great name! Now you just need something in there named P.T. Barnum....

stradjm

Cuttlefish
Registered
Update, some pics

Little Sucker has become much more active in just a few days. He's not that active during the day, but has been coming out twice in the evening: once while his light is on for ~ 1 hour, then back into his den, and finally he peeks out for a bit in the dark. He loves to crawl on the tank walls and doesn't jet around much. He's made his den near the inlet for the filter and likes to swim around it and poke it.

I have posted a couple of pictures below. He is missing an arm (a septapus!) and one of the existing seven is a bit shorter than the others, so maybe it was lost at some point too. The missing arm is probably more evidence that he is an Aculeatus, but I'd be happy to hear other opinions.

I have seen some crab legs near his den so he's definitely eating some hermit crab. I'm going to go down to the wharf tomorrow and get some other things for variety...also I want to help along the bonding by being the provider of food.

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
He's really cute and deffinately has that long arm look. I think possably a female cause any octopus I have had that was missing limbs/injuries turned out to be a female.

Carol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conor Henry

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak