Injuries to skin or mantle

Do octopi get bumps, scrapes, and or cuts on their mantles or other parts of their bodies? If this does happen when the octopus is in captivity, how, if at all, do veterinarians treat these afflictions?

Do octopi get bumps, scrapes, and or cuts on their mantles or other parts of their bodies? If this does happen when the octopus is in captivity, how, if at all, do veterinarians treat these afflictions?
Hello!

Yes, octopus can get injuries. Depending on the severity, veterinary care may be an option. Usually, with good water quality and excellent care, the octopus can heal it on their own. Knowing the age of the octopus is also important as some "injuries" are actually symptoms of senescence, such as white mantle lesions.

Thanks,
Greg

I had an octopus once that liked a lot to crawl up the tank glass and often rubbed his mantle against the glass surface. It developed a white lesion that didn't swollen but never fully healed, or maybe it did but didn't change colors anymore. I think as long as you keep water clean and free of nitrates the lesion should heal over time. I've read others have used antibiotics on the tank but I would leave that for extreme cases and infected lesions.

I had an octopus once that liked a lot to crawl up the tank glass and often rubbed his mantle against the glass surface. It developed a white lesion that didn't swollen but never fully healed, or maybe it did but didn't change colors anymore. I think as long as you keep water clean and free of nitrates the lesion should heal over time. I've read others have used antibiotics on the tank but I would leave that for extreme cases and infected lesions.
Thank you! This is helpful!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back