Help? Nidamental Gland or Ovary or Something Else?

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Thanks Steve, never thought of that (D'oh :roll:), none of mine were preserved...........so I stand by my earlier comment that it looks like a full caecum!

but Do cephs get cancer??????????

J

There are many kinds of tumors; not all tumors are cancerous. Lots of mammals get varieties of tumors. Do cold blooded animals? Do fish? Invertebrates? In any case, this specimen didn't die of cancer or benignant tumors.

Very curious.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Melissa;110670 said:
There are many kinds of tumors; not all tumors are cancerous. Lots of mammals get varieties of tumors. Do cold blooded animals? Do fish? Invertebrates? In any case, this specimen didn't die of cancer or benignant tumors.

Very curious.

True........tis brain fade.......put it down to the start of student enrollment and the accompanying chaos!

Teleost Fish do get tumours, both benign and malignant, melanomas are especially common I believe. Cartilaginous (Chondrichthys) fish (sharks etc) are not known to get them.

bathypol

Wonderpus
Registered
hello again,

So I have been diligently dissecting squid for my project and the more I dissect, the more I realize that the purple structure I was confused about must be the caeca (Jean and Steve were right). That'll teach me to second guess the experts :notworth:

Thanks again for the help.:biggrin2:

Thony

Hatchling
Registered
Help me to locate the accessory nidamental gland

I really need to obtain the accessory nidamental gland of this squid for my research work.
Please help me..

THANKS in advance!

Attachments

• conv_298799.jpg
    conv_298799.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 190
  • conv_298800.jpg
    conv_298800.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 190
  • conv_298801.jpg
    conv_298801.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 162