• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Escaped but alive??

Vonsamhain

Cuttlefish
Registered
Chia;103734 said:
Hey all - thanks to those who tried to help out my little self-mutilating friend. I checked the water levels, they were all on target. We get our water straight from a filtered ocean tap, so I did a 1/3 change, but he is just getting worse. He is no longer moving, even when food is right by him...though he did try to reach out for my hand when I put it in there. Big bummer, he'll be dead my morning. I think I'll go cry now.

The biggest pitfall of being a responsible Octo keeper is the death of the octo despite best intentions. Sorry to hear about all this.

IMO, nitrates are best kept low by macroalgae (sump/refuge), water changes, and deep sand beds. I used chemicals as a new tank keeper decades ago, but never a good idea for long term at all IMO.

Vonsamhain

Cuttlefish
Registered
shipposhack;103729 said:
A 5 gallon refugium will do next to nothing for a 50 gallon tank, for example. In my opinion, refugiums are fairly pointless unless they are at least 1/3 the size of your display.

Im gonna have to disagree with you there. Every bit CAN help, and it also depends on how it is set up. A 5 gallon macro algae tumbler (string algae) with a strong grow light can pull out HUGE amounts of nitrate from a tank 10X its size. You can put alot of algae in 5 gallons if its tumbling below say 20-40 watts it will fill that entire space.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
:sad: Sorry to hear the octo's getting worse. It sounded pretty grim, but I was hoping it would recover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conor Henry

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak