• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Ceph ? Non ceph - the mystery object !

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Yep, I've never found a belemnite phragmocone yet down at Folkestone. The type we get down there are Neohibolites, Albian Cretaceous, and somewhat boringly are the smallest known form of belemnite, as far as I know. The guards are exceptionally well preserved and lie completely free of the clay matrix; they can be collected by the dozen in the beach shingle. The phragmocone being delicate in nature has no sturdy rock to support it and is completely worn away; a pity, though the socket it fitted into is often well preserved.

I wonder if Neohibolites is a catch-all genus? Although the guards are all about the same length, about 30mm or so, there is a great variation in the shape of the tip of the guard. Some are pointed, some conical, some rounded. Odd.

:belemnit:

Phil said:
I wonder if Neohibolites is a catch-all genus? Although the guards are all about the same length, about 30mm or so, there is a great variation in the shape of the tip of the guard. Some are pointed, some conical, some rounded. Odd.

could possibly be the Si, GSi, GTi models of the same species ? maybe not

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHF8

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak