• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

ZOO OCTO

scottwcs

Hatchling
Registered
WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD DIURNAL LARGE OCTO FOR A 500 GALLON TANK. LOOKING FOR A HARDY SPECIES OR ANY THAT CAN BE KEPT TOGETHER EVEN THOUGH I HAVE A FEELING THATS NOT AN OPTION. OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS

Octopus cyanea without a doubt is what I'd get! Keep singly!

other than that perhaps a 500 gal tank would be okay for 3 or 4 Eledone or Octopus bimaculoides, they can co-habit but only in big tanks.

:welcome: to TONMO.coom Scottwcs.

You've got a really big tank there, I wonder how you're gonna find those little bimacs in such a big tank. But If you're looking to keep only 1, then like what Colin said, O.cyanea would be best.

You'll probably know this but you can get captive bred O.bimaculoides from www.fishsupply.com :smile:

Nope, they are a small egg species therfore the paralarvae are very difficult to rear, not impossible just not viable as a captive breeding project yet.

12 - 18 is considered good for an octo...

your alternative is a coldwter species that may live as long as 5 years.. GPO, bathypolypus, eledone etc

I wonder if you could go with cuttles...a little herd of them (is that the correct grouping name???) would be nice in a 500...
Greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back