Ziva, first look ID Please..

eng50

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Sadly, Olie, our first octo passed to the great sea in the sky a week ago. He was a true Briareus acquired from Tom's 8 months ago, he was a good size when we got him so I guess natural order has taken him. We enjoyed him so much we ordered another from SWF.com to try to get a filosus, sp? this time.

Just started the acclimation, on what I must say is a very nice octo from SWF.com as I have heard prior they advertise 'Octopus briareus' but many here have said they are really Carribean two spot or filosus?

Anyone want to guess yet?

Hard to see any 'eye spot' as he is mostly whiteish (not very happy) however, he is not breathing heavy or appear to be overly stressed for the shipping! Nice not to open a bag of ink this time!! Going very slow as we are not in emergency mode this time...

Bill

eng50

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Here he is, could not get it on the original post..

Attachments

• conv_294259.jpg
    conv_294259.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 0

eng50

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Think I see definite spots! Of course can't get ay pics until he decides to come out. He is in his tank now and its waiting time...
He was quite playful before I put him in already..I introduced a cup to transfer him in and we played in and out and rub my head! Pretty good start..

Upvote 0

Tommycs

Wonderpus
Registered
A few people on this forum have reported getting hummelincki's from saltwaterfish.com. It is hard to tell from that picture but what you got very well could be a Hummelincki (don't quote me on it), and if you don't know too much about the species you could always look at Dwhatley's journals on the few Hummelincki's she had. I personally think that it is a great octopus. :welcome: :octopus2:

Upvote 0

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Bill,
The thick head, eyes, arm length, purple sucker tips and the orangish spot patten look right for hummelincki (no longer called filosus but I still have some questions about the original filosus and hummelincki being the same octopus but this would be hummelincki). The disposition is also more hummelincki like than our single experience with briareus SueNami. You should start seeing him/her on the glass during the day in less than two weeks but stay visible and let him/her come out on its own (as it appears you are doing). Tommycs mentioned that you can see lots of photos in my journals of Octane and OhToo if you want to compare but if you have seen the blue eyespot surrounded by yellow that will pretty much answer the id question.

Upvote 0

eng50

O. bimaculoides
Registered
D,
I was hoping you would respond, when I first started with these wonderful creatures, your journals and Animal Mothers as well, were invaluable!! I have gone back and looked at most of your photos and am certain of the hummelincki ID. I truly hope to have nearly the experience you have had with yours..Do you have any thoughts on male vs female disposition, etc?

Thank you

Bill

Upvote 0

eng50

O. bimaculoides
Registered
To our surprise, when the lights came on there she was! Waiting on the glass! After watching us for several hours, she decided to grab on of the medium size turbos for lunch..I'm glad shes eating but have to try and adjust the escargot to shrimp and crab!

A few questions / concerns on this kind of octopus..

She is awkward (jerky) in her movement (swimming and moving on the rock) as well as slow! In stark contrast to what we are used to lightning attacks, and very fluid movement by the Briarius. Is this normal?

She also moves as if she has a front side if that makes sense..her front two arms are definitely left and right with head in the center, contrast to the Briarius that moved in any direction at will without a defined 'front'..

She other wise seems fine, eating, changing color and shape/texture, all arms moving well, alert, aware of surroundings, etc..

Thank you,

Bill

Upvote 0

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
All the differences between the briareus and hummelincki are well posted observations (I hope more people will do this kind of comparitive) and I would say that I have seen a similar difference (in reverse as far as the octos go). The jerky motion may be similar to the notes I made where both hummelinckis (Octane and OhToo) seemed to get "stuck" on the acrylic during their introduction period. Ultimately, they could traverse the walls without appearing to have difficulty regulating how much suction to apply but I don't recall seeing this motion on the LR.

An apparent "front" is an interesting thought in that I recorded that the briareus could move its head (or at least the eye stalks together in a swiveling motion) where the hummelincki needed to turn its entire body. I think we are recording the same difference but in opposite perspectives.

I would recommend putting live fiddlers in there soon and offering thawed shrimp on a stick ASAP. The hummelincki have been very quick to take raw shrimp and may take it from a stick the first time you offer. Neither of my hummelincki actually ATE the snails they molested (check the shells - OhToo has a journal entry ending with the "eaten" turbo crawling up the glass an hour later).

They are not quick octos, even the one I was lucky enough to see in the wild did not move quickly and never swam away during my 48 shallow dives (snorkeling without weights and very boyant) to photograph my first in situ octo. If my two were typical, you will see very little swimming, especially as they age and much more walking. Be sure Ollie Jr has a large, above ground dark area for night time sleeping as both of mine preferred to be OFF the bottom substrate. My macropus, Beldar sleeps UNDER the LR in holes she makes in the sand. The briareus, SueNami has cleared the sand and either sleeps on the wall or in a cave where he has blown the sand away but the hummelinckis chose to be above the sand completely and usually traveled the LR or walls. I would also recommend avoiding night lights unless you use red as light will keep them awake when the want to sleep and you will observe a nerveous pacing if a nice dark place is not available. We found this out when our red night light went to white after a power outage (it had a choice of colors but would not hold the setting after being turned off) and eventually just eliminated the night light as they sleep through the night. Unlike the nocturnals, there is nothing to watch and they get grumpy without their beauty rest.

Look for enlarged suckers on the front arms and a curled third arm to the right that is not used for walking about. If you don't see either of these soon Ollie is more likely Ollivet and you current gender use of female is a good guess. Sadly, hummelincki is a small egged species so I have my fingers crossed for a male (our few females have not been long in the aquariums before brooding and seem to be somewhat smaller than the males).

PICTURES!!!!

Upvote 0