• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

zebra octopus

tank balla;93041 said:
i got a one just two day, mine is just the best on the first day it ate and is doing just fine.

i will keep u guys updated

What size tank is he in? How long has the tank been up and running? Please tell me you have a protein skimmer... Glad it survived the first day, the transition to a new tank is stressful on any octopus.

cthulhu77;38530 said:
Well, the critter is bound to die no matter what...the chances of it still being in stock now are slim to none, but they may get in more. The turnover rate at a wholesalers is staggering, most fish and animals are in their tanks for less than a day, before being shipped out...
If you want a good octo to keep and watch, I would go with the bimac also...
greg

Greg,

Sorry, I don't believe that you are quite correct about the wholesaler's turnover rates. You may be confusing them with transhippers (which I would NEVER suggest anyone use) The reputable wholesalers hold their stock for at least a day. Shoot - the acclimation method that some of them use takes eight hours just by itself. One of the largest wholesalers on 104th street had three mimics when I bought mine. They still had one three weeks later before they sold it. That said, in my recent article on this topic (next thread down I believe) I suggest that people NOT buy mimic or Wunderpus sight-unseen...based on the early-on mortality syndrome seen in some animals.

Jay

p.s. - you are right that the critter is bound to die no matter what, the mortality rate for ALL living things (except perhaps those that reproduce by fission) is ALWAYS 100%

Guys,

We can't paint wholesalers with a broad brush. There are all kinds. Some quarantine, some don't. Some sell from quarantine, some don't. Some acclimate well, some faux acclimate, some don't acclimate. In a busy week, some could sell 90% of the animals they got from the last shipment while on a slow week they may hold on to 90% of the last shipment.
The recent trend in wholesaling is to treat the animals better because the customers are demanding it with their money, and because losses go down with a little effort. However, as there are some that are actually making changes, there are some that say they are making changes but don't do anything differently.
The 'industry' is vast an complex, and generally those of us lucky enough (or unlucky enough!) to deal with the wholesale/collecting end quickly learn which are bad, which are reputable and which give lip service.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back