zebra/mimic/wonderpus

nyaquatic

Hatchling
Registered
Hi,

First time poster.
I recently aquired this beauty in a Bali shipment.
Came in identified as a zebra octopus.
Is it a "zebra octopus", a mimic octopus, a wonderpus, or are they all one and the same.

FWIW, it's doing great. Hunting tons of crabs/shrimp. Active and eating.

Attachments

• conv_303309.jpg
    conv_303309.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 2

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
A zebra is any octo that has black and white stripes. It is the worst kind of common name because it clearly refers to several different species. It's like calling damsels, wrasse and anthias a 'blue fish'. :biggrin2:

Thaumoctopus mimicus is the mimic ocotpus is thankfully rarely seen in the trade.

Wunderpus photogenicus is the wunderpus and is sadly seen too often in the trade.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
:welcome: to TONMO!

I just moved this thread to "Exotics" because we prefer to keep discussion of these species over there... but I in no way mean that you should have thought it was inappropriate for "ID requests."

I posted some the internet archive version of Mucktopus' "how to tell a wunderpus from a mimic" page over in this thread yesterday:

http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/9227/

unfortunately the internet archive part is missing the pictures.

Anyway, if Thales says it's a wunderpus, that's probably more useful.

daddysquoc

Wonderpus
Registered
u probably should support "conventional" species, the ones that have been captive-bred, fishkid6692, instead of the rare ones like wunders and mimics. it'll also probably save u more on money in the long run.

once i get more experienced with cephs i think i may try it. money isn't the problem for me but i don't want to buy one just for my pleasure. if i were to get one i may even get a few and set up a breeding system for small egged species. can someone tell me how this could be done?