Yorkshire coast ammonites

neuropteris

GPO
Registered
Hello all

Further to the Pathological ammonites thread here are a few more (non pathological) ammonites from the Lias of the Yorkshire coast in the UK. Collected over a period of about 5 years from Ravenscar, Kettleness and Hawsker Bottoms

Best wishes

Andy

Hello Spartacus

Glad you liked them. Here are a few more - there's a great variety of species on the Yorkshire coast but it seems 90% of what I find are Dac commune! Obviously need to put more time in to get the rarer ones. Here's hoping for more cliff falls this Winter (though not when I'm under them!)

Best wishes

Andy

PS If anyone wants to correct any of my identifications please feel free.

Hi Andy/all, more nodule-tastic stuff from oop north ! :thumbsup:
I only got into the fossil thing early last year having always had a soft spot for ceph kind since I can remember & have been hoovering up info, images, web sites etc. non-stop since then. The amount of quality info is almost as overwhelming as the variety of ammonoids to be found in the UK alone, regardless of places like Utah (subtle plug for Kevin & his great site). I have to admit to having seen a considerable no. of Dac. commune over the past months they must lie about the Yorkshire beaches like leaves in Autumn ! :wink:
The main problem with this hobby is time & the lack of it !!

Most welcome chap,
out of interest, are the specimens on the site all part of an enormous collection belonging to your goodself or just representative of the area ?
(I'm sure it probably says but I'm here & not there at the moment)

Archteuthoceras said:
You gotta make time for cephs
Wait 'til I thro' with 9 to 5 & am chez Spartacus dans la France ! you should see my list of places to tap up ! :bugout: c'est magnifique !

spartacus said:
are the specimens on the site all part of an enormous collection belonging to your goodself or just representative of the area ?

They are the property of the people of the United States of America. They are in my care and for my personal Use.

They were all found and/or collected by me on property owned by the Public and administered by either the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) or the United States Forest Service (USFS). Or land formerly administered by the BLM that is now property of the State of Utah, or under control of the Grand Staircase/Escalante National Monument.

The Rules :smile:

There are over-zealous environmentalists who think no stone should be overturned, and over-zealous commercial shellers who would like the whole desert turned into a open-pit, and all those equally spaced from one end to the other. The rules are ever changing. The battle rages on. :yinyang:

Wow - really nice stuff there. I really must get out to the coast more!. I've bought some of Mike Marshalls ammonites myself. His prepping work is very good (certainly better than mine) and its a fairly economic way of getting nice specimens of the rarer species. A round trip to the coast for me costs about 20 pounds in petrol so if I can purchase a good one from my required list for about that amount I'm happy (although its not as much fun obviously!)

How did you find the site? I put "yorkshire coast fossils" or variations thereof into google fairly frequently but have never turned this one up.

Attached is another one of my Yorkshire specimens, a bit younger than the Whitby material this time - its a Simberskites from the Cretaceous age Speeton Clay

Best wishes

Andy

I found hundreds of ammonites about half way between Scarborough and Whitby when I was stuck at the bottom of a cliff waiting to rescue a baby Seal. Good hunting along there, lots of organised trips in Robin Hoods Bay!

Andy Lister said:
I found hundreds of ammonites about half way between Scarborough and Whitby when I was stuck at the bottom of a cliff waiting to rescue a baby Seal. Good hunting along there, lots of organised trips in Robin Hoods Bay!

Oh Andy. let's have a look! We love this stuff. Please post some images, including the seal, if you have some.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back