Yorkshire coast ammonites

Concretion full of Grammoceras

Reviving this very old thread here are three views of a prepared concretion from the Yorkshire coast showing 14 individuals of Grammoceras striatulum.

Attachments

• conv_299859.jpg
    conv_299859.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 104
  • conv_299860.jpg
    conv_299860.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 103
  • conv_299861.jpg
    conv_299861.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 106
I´m back ! After a long absence from this forum I had to go through a lot of verifications and re-verifications of my account (I gladly did remember the e-mail address I had used !) but in the end it worked...
So what do I do on my first post after umpteen years ? I bother you with a shameless plug in the service of self-advertisement.
No, I´m not selling anything - at least not yet. But I´ve finally got myself together and started writing on my book about Yorkshire ammonites - in all seriousness ! My new blog at http:\\andysfossils.com is my diary on the road of writing this book, and if you like Yorkshire ammonites, I´m quite sure you will enjoy it !

AndyS

P.S. : Very nice group of Grammoceras, Hajar ! I find that most of these are actually Grammoceras thouarsense, the finer ribbed variety G. striatulum itself being somewhat rarer (allthough I can´t really diagnose this from your pictures, it´s just a general observation made on many Grammoceras I´ve found at Ravenscar)

Looking forward to the book AndyS!

Here's a Grammoceras detail. striatulus is on an old Mike Marshall label. Shall I change it?

Attachments

• conv_299974.jpg
    conv_299974.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 134
Interesting! (had to look it up) this from Wikipedia.

A local legend says that when sea birds fly over the abbey they dip their wings in honour of Saint Hilda. Another legend tells of a plague of snakes which Hilda turned to stone, supposedly explaining the presence of ammonite fossils on the shore; heads were carved onto these 'petrified snakes' to honour this legend.[3] In fact, the ammonite genus Hildoceras takes its scientific name from St. Hilda. It was not unknown for local “artisans” to carve snakes' heads onto ammonites, and sell these “relics” as proof of her miracle. The coat of arms of nearby Whitby includes three such 'snakestones', and depictions of ammonites appear in the shield of the College of St Hild and St Bede, Durham[4]. A carved ammonite stone is set into the wall by the entrance to the former chapel of St Hild's College, Durham, which later became part of the College of St Hild and St Bede.

Hajar,
The Grammoceras should indeed be a G. thouarsense.
From your picture I counted about 45 ribs per whorl, G. striatulum has about 60 / whorl.

That Phylloceras is really superb, specimen like this one are hard to find these days.

The Dactylioceras looks like a D. commune, nice & complete one.

All the best,
AndyS

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back