"Yo quiero TAKO" - Cephs in anime, and worldwide

Any relation to Jambi on PEE WEE'S PLAYHOUSE?

"Mecha lekka high mecha heinie ho
Mecha lekka high mecha heinie ho"

:boat:

"Oh, an Archi never does no harm,
He just does as he pleases,
But he always remembers to wash his arms
So he don't get no diseases!"

Ms. Yvonne
The Most Beautiful Squid in the World

There are definitely a few ceph-gods in Miyazaki's "Spirited Away." A really big one can be seen luxuriating in an herbal bath, tentacles hanging over the lip of the tub. In the copious amounts of food served to the guests at the bath-house, there's no tako or ika to be seen; presumably, the staff doesn't want to offend the guests.

IMHO, anyone wanting an introduction to anime can start with "Spirited Away." Extraordinary stuff.

Clem
(No-Face) :yinyang:

Clem said:
There are definitely a few ceph-gods in Miyazaki's "Spirited Away." A really big one can be seen luxuriating in an herbal bath, tentacles hanging over the lip of the tub. In the copious amounts of food served to the guests at the bath-house, there's no tako or ika to be seen; presumably, the staff doesn't want to offend the guests.

IMHO, anyone wanting an introduction to anime can start with "Spirited Away." Extraordinary stuff.

Clem
(No-Face) :yinyang:

SPIRITED AWAY was the best animated feature I have ever seen -- I'm saving up to buy my own copy. It contains some scenes which are so enigmatic and melancholy that they cannot be explained, yet they haunt the mind of the viewer constantly (e.g., the shadowy spirits gliding about the deserted marketplace, the arachnid "furnace man" tenderly placing a blanket on Chihiro, the ghostly sunset train-trip to Zeniba's home). Definitely not just a kids' film.

Oh, and No-Face -- please don't eat any frogs in the bath house, you know it makes you a little crazy. :bugout:

Most respectfully,
Taningia-san

Obligatory Squiddage :arrow: :meso: :squid: :nautilus: :octopus:

Fujisawas Sake said:
That anime girl with the "squid"? I have no idea, but I sure hope its not a hentai... :lol:

John, I hope it isn't a "tentacle" hentai, either. That stuff is just plain wrong. Doesn't matter if it was inspired by imagery in old watercolors. Wrong then, wrong now.

I'm sure that little tyke on the beach would agree.

Clem

Clem said:
Now, here's an anime girl in a bikini, posing at the beach with a friendly ceph:

http://www3.yomogi.or.jp/hobby/Works/works_and_support.html

Clem

I think she's cute -- reminds me of my feisty little Hagen-Renaker Mermaid, for whom I've been trying to get an equally cute little Hagen-Renaker Octo-pal ever since I missed bidding on one in an eBay auction.

Come to think of it, if anyone happens to find the latter on sale online, and notifies me of it promptly, will earn my profound gratitude and an extra bucket of Purina Cephalopod Chow at feeding time.

So it be written, so it be done!
The Divine Ms. D

i was going to mention it in octosimpsons, but given his style and apparent major influences, i decided on here.... you can usually find either octos or various amorphous and tentacled critters in genndy tartakovsky's work (samurai jack, dexters lab, etc)

:cthulhu: :heart: :beer:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back