Yezoteuthis: a new giant squid fossil from Japan

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Jaw (beak?) of Yezoteuthis, Gladius of Tusoteuthis, could they be the same? Every TONMOite should go to the nearest Cretaceous outcrop and find the gladius from Yezoteuthis and the jaw from Tusoteuthis, no matter how long it takes :heee:

Great stuff Phil :notworth:

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Ooooh, this morning I felt like a giant fossil squid beak... Damn those martini's! It wouldn't be the first time that different fossil finds, placed in different species, turned out with hindsight to be one and the same, ask apatosaurus, anomalocaris, even T-rex. Have any beaks from Tusoteuthis been described so far? You'd expect some gladii to at least have been preserved in association, right?

On a secondary note, what about the strata in which both species have been described themselves, how many million years between them?

Yog-Sothoth

Hatchling
Registered
Can you imagine the rarity of a fossilized squid beck. What an interesting and exciting find. Remind me to post a picture of a strange Amonite fossil I found last year, I have'nt been able to id it yet.

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Ob, I also wondered if Tusoteuthis and Yezoteuthis might be the same animal. Tusoteuthis dates from the Niobrara Chalk, about 85-79 mya, but the article on Yezoteuthis does not give such a precise date but states it was Campanian, ie 83-71 mya, so they could well have been contemporary. I tried searching on 'Yezo mudstones' to get a more precise date, but to no avail. Even if they were not exactly contemporary, it would not preclude that they were not the same genus, Trachyteuthis is known from Jurassic Solnhofen through to the Cretaceous Lebanon deposits, maybe this animal also enjoyed longevity?

I don't think any beaks of Tusoteuthis have been found as all specimens have been of the gladius, so far. Does anyone know what sort of depth mudstones are deposited at? I'd guess that they were from shallow waters as ammonites are commonly found contained within, and Tusoteuthis is also thought to have been a shallow water animal given the depth of the Niobrara Sea at the time.

More specimens please.

Yog-Sothoth said:
Remind me to post a picture of a strange Amonite fossil I found last year, I have'nt been able to id it yet.

Go for it, hopefully we might be able to help. Welcome to TONMO too, Yog-Sothoth! :welcome:

Snafflehound

GPO
Registered
ob said:
It wouldn't be the first time that different fossil finds, placed in different species, turned out with hindsight to be one and the same, ask apatosaurus, anomalocaris, even T-rex.

I predict that soon, it will be revealed that in fact, apatosaurus, anomalocaris, and T-Rex fossils all in fact do belong to the same animal, a prehistoric squid :lol:

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Dang Snafflehound, my "grand unified species theory" paper's still under review, don't you go blow the whistle like that! :wink:

Originally posted by Snafflehound
I predict that soon, it will be revealed that in fact, apatosaurus, anomalocaris, and T-Rex fossils all in fact do belong to the same animal, a prehistoric squid

Ancient squid had bones???

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
And here it is, the beak of Yezoteuthis.

The image was obtained from this page. Automatic translation was too poor to be worth including here I'm afraid.

Attachments

• conv_288844.jpg
    conv_288844.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 188
  • conv_288845.jpg
    conv_288845.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 244

Latest Posts