Yet another introduction

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Tony,
Sorry, I tried the email when you mentioned the fix but must have forgotten to tell you that it didn't work. HOWEVER, whatever you did a few minutes ago has finally started spewing emails!

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Yes, we believe that issue is fixed now!

kwsapphire, I can't find the broken link you're alluding to (I thought I had fixed them when I changed the location). In any regard, here is the link to the rules:

http://www.tonmo.com/forums/announcement.php?a=6

If you can let me know where the dead link is, I'd appreciate it!

The broken link is when you are first signing up on the forums, there are links to reading the code of ethics and something else, and neither link worked. Obviously I could still sign up, but I was worried that I might do something that was against the rules until I found the code of ethics! Some forums have really weird rules.. I was banned from the Tampa Bay Buccanneers forum for something I didn't even do!! They accused me of "ghosting" - or having two accounts and posting under two names. I didn't! So either someone was spoofing my IP address or their system was messed up ;_;

But they also had all kinds of weird rules, like you aren't allowed to put people's names in the subject of your thread (they considered it "calling people out" or trying to start a fight, even if that's not what you were trying to do!) and you aren't allowed to ask anyone if they have any of the games on tape, and you can't mention certain events in NFL history (like when Michael Vick used a false name to sleep around and spread an STD). Just a ton of stupid rules, and there's no warning system, you just get suspended or banned. And there's no appeal system, so even though I wasn't ghosting, I can't even talk to a moderator about it.

Of course, there are also a lot of jerks on that forum, and fights break out all the time, and flamewars, so I'm kind of glad I've been prevented from posting there anymore. :P

:bugout: Self-censorship and historical revisionism on sports boards! :roflmao: This amuses me more than it should.

Silly or strange-seeming rules are sometimes implemented in response to unanticipated discussions and arguments. Cephalopods seem not to touch nerves the same way that football seems to on that board, but there were strong opinions expressed on ethical issues here on Tonmo. I missed that, but to me, this is a great place to discuss such an issue because some of the members of this community are very informed and share their knowledge. Threads where people (politely) disagree can be the most informative. Some even own up to changing their opinions over time!

kwsapphire, I will blame you if I start lurking on the Buccaneers board!

LOL I will take the blame for that :wink: That really would be my fault! ^_^

And I agree - there can be some really great discussions when people disagree, as long as they're polite to each other about it. Discussions are good, arguments? Not so much.