Yawl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned to eat grits many years ago while visiting cousins in Georgia (US, not USSR). Unfortunately, at the time grits took forever to cook and were not readily available in Noo Yawk.

Well, recently I discovered that the Quaker Oats company makes Instant Grits! How cool is that?!?! I like to make them in the microwave with 1% lowfat milk, then add Take Control margarine and a little bit of honey. Wowie -- second best high-fiber, low-calorie winter snack in the universe!

(The first best high-fiber, low-calorie winter snack in the universe is Atolé, but more about that later.)

I :heart: Grits!!

Apropos of nothing in particular,
Tani

And what about the ever popular "ya'll'll"? The contracted, Southern, "you all will"?

I eat my grits with brown sugar.

Is there a singular form of grits, i.e., grit? Or is it already singular, and if so, then what is the plural form? These are the things that keep me awake at night. :bugout: . By and by, I love them prepared with milk also.

Howdy, scarmig and Castor! Glad to meet some fellow grits-kissers. Brown sugar sounds like a great idea, though I am dieting and must be careful to use it in moderation.

I think "grit" is something you find in your collard greens if you haven't washed them thoroughly. Of course, in that case it is a collective plural used in the singular form. Or something like that. You know, one of my acquaintances once speculated whether the singular of "suds" would be "a sud". Life is fraught with mysteries.

BTW, what is Red-Eye Gravy? I've heard it's good with grits, but I assume it doesn't come packaged and you have to make it. Interesting name!

Coming soon to this thread: the mind-blowing revelation of Atolé!! :shock:

Grits start as corn, usually large kernel hominy, which is then soaked in some sort of chemical that essentially removes all the nutrition (sorry to tell you, Tani). It's just starch, and if ground fine, is not unlike farina. You get them a lot in the southern US.

Melissa

G'day Jean!

Here is the best definition of grits (or, more correctly, "hominy grits") that I've seen:

http://wri3ght.com/grits10.html

Yo Melissa!

Do you by any chance have a recipe for Red-Eye Gravy? Sounds like it would be fun to try for breakfast someday.

Everyone:

Very soon, I shall be initiating yawl into the mysteries of Atolé. But not quite yet. I enjoy keeping people on Taniterhooks.

:twisted:

Jean said:
er..........sounds great :shock: you actually eat that???? :shock:

Mind you it's gotta be better than marmite/vegemite :yuck:

J

Yeeup, grits is groovy! And -- lack of nutrition notwithstanding -- it shore gets things movin', if yawl ketch mah drift..... :mrgreen:

Um, as a matter of fact, I have tasted Vegemite -- sent away for it from one of those Aussie import catalogs. And I can safely say that, with the possible exception of kerosene, just about anything is better than that stuff. How do your fellow Antipodeans stand it? I guess all that :beer: must kill the taste. Or the tastebuds.

:?

Red-eye gravy is just drippings from whatever you've roasted, probably ham if you're making red-eye gravy, with some black coffee and sugar stirred in over a low flame. Use corn starch to thicken. Fat, caffeine and sugar sounds so good, but it's not for me.

Squid probably don't give enough fat for this recipe.

Melissa

Um, as a matter of fact, I have tasted Vegemite -- sent away for it from one of those Aussie import catalogs. And I can safely say that, with the possible exception of kerosene, just about anything is better than that stuff. How do your fellow Antipodeans stand it? I guess all that :beer: must kill the taste. Or the tastebuds. :?

It's just that they're so incredibly TOUGH, particularly down here in the South. Y'know the sorta thing wrestling with crocs/moa's/messies (slot in your fav tough critter) all before a hearty brekky of speights and vegemite on galvo (toast being too namby pamby, you understand!).

No Lattes and Criossants down here!

J

Jean said:
....all before a hearty brekky of speights and vegemite on galvo (toast being too namby pamby, you understand!).

OK, I'll bite (pardon the expression): what's galvo? Is that anything like Anzac biscuits?

And what about the googs? Don't tell me the Kiwi chooks have gone on strike!

:o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back