• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Wunderpus

Octohk

Blue Ring
Registered
Hi All

I received a call today from my LFS (here in Hong Kong), Have been waiting a few months for a new octo. When I arrived at the store I was amazed to find out it was a Wunderpus.

Here in Hong Kong everything is pretty much random regarding what comes in and when and we tend to get most species locally from indo-china region.

i will post a video tomorrow. (here is the video
)

So far "she" had accepted frozen shrimp about 10 minutes after I put her in the tank.

Any info to help would be great.

I am sure that Thales (staff member) will chime in soon. You may want to send him a pm, too. He has the most experience with captive maintenance of this sort of octopus.

Greg

Sorry to change topic, however I do find it very cool that you got a wunderpus and look forward to updates, but I like the fact that there have been three people that have replied so far, all three have been staff, two of which have agreed that this thread should go in exotics, and yet it's still here. :tomato: :wink:

L8 2 RISE;140934 said:
Sorry to change topic, however I do find it very cool that you got a wunderpus and look forward to updates, but I like the fact that there have been three people that have replied so far, all three have been staff, two of which have agreed that this thread should go in exotics, and yet it's still here. :tomato: :wink:

No whining. :tongue: I don't know about anyone else, but I like to delay before moving threads just to let people know they're moving...

Wunderpus

Thanks Thales for your info.

I will take pix and I already emailed Wunderpix to see what they need.

I agree that Tigger (my son named him) is for sure an older octo. He is missing several tips of his arms which seem to have grown back (but much thinner).

I am hoping that he is not very old and will be around for a while.

I have read your previous post about Fontanelle. It was very informative. Thanks.

I have noticed similar personality traits in Tigger.

I also want to make a few completely off the cuff observations.

1) My Ribbon Eel is still in the tank (700L) and again has no interest at all in the octo. Tigger also has "sat" on the Ribbon a few times and they both seem to like each other (same as I noticed with my other octo).

2) My 'Cuddle' is also still in the tank and also has no issues with the Octo (as she did not either with my other one). (By the way, she has been laying eggs for over 2 months now, non-stop. Its insane, unfortunately, they are duds).

3) I have 2 large hermits in the tank. One of them seems interested in Tigger, however he will not bite him. The crab will approach him and then walk over him. This crab will eat anything it can catch and for some reason it will not bite him. In fact, earlier today he was hanging from the glass with 2 legs dangling down and the crab came over to check him out. He immediately dropped down from the glass and changed his colors and extended his membranes. The Crab fell over backwards and then ran away. (was it scared from the display or is he poisonous?) The crab is far larger then the octo.

4) I also have several medium size Tangs in the tank. They also seem interested, but will not attack her. They approach, investigate and leave.

5) He has accepted several frozen foods from me in the first 48 hours (shrimp, small fish, and a piece of salmon (he really seemed to enjoy it). My tank is also stocked with lots of small fish and saltwater shrimp.

6) Compared to my other octo, Wunderpus dont seem to be nearly as intelligent. I dont mean this in a bad way, its just they seem to be much simpler in their manner and interactions. More basic.

7) He seems very friendly, I can touch him and he is not scared at all when I am around. For the first 48 hours he has been out and about all the time. Not really seeking anything, just hanging around. Thales, I also also thought he was dead at one point. Pale white, lying on the bottom of the tank sideways. I put my hand in and suddenly he was back to normal.....i am guessing it is a camouflage display.....scary.

8) As I am writing this, my second hermit, larger and more aggressive went to investigate Tigger. He walked over, got near him and the octo pushed the crab away. The crab left walking in a very strange shaking way. (I thought this was a bit weird). Does anyone know if Wuderpus is poisonous, I have not read they are dangerous to humans, but from the 48 hours of interaction I have had, all the tank mates seem to be very cautious of him.

Sadly, Nelly (my other octo) is on his way out. I only see him every 3 or 4 days now and today he did not look well at all. He seemed bleached white on parts of his body. He has also been hiding for the last 3 weeks. He is still accepting food, but I feel the end is near. :frown:

More to come. I hope Tigger is not as old as I think he is.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back