• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

wunderpus. need some help.

There is something that needs to be said here. Yes, it's good that you're able to keep octopuses and you've learned a lot. It's good that you're posting photos.

BUT, the reason we don't recommend keeping wunderpuses (often sold as mimics) is not that they're difficult to keep. The reason is that the species appears to be threatened, so it's not appropriate to collect and sell wunderpuses, given that their numbers appear to be reduced already.

By buying one from an LFS, you let the LFS profit from selling this species and encourage the LFS to order more. Therefore more will be collected to meet this order. We know of many octopus species that are not threatened, are available, and would be interesting for anyone to keep, so it's not necessary to sell or want to buy wunderpuses.

In addition, wunderpuses are often sold as mimics, so buyers expect to see the octopuses "perform". More than one has been returned to the LFS for failure to perform.

Sometimes we come across a "rescue" situation, where a wunderpus that has already been purchased from an LFS need another home. At least in this case, further collection is not encouraged. The wunderpus that Thales recently acquired falls into this category.

Now that you have the wunderpus, maybe you can find a way to help further understanding about the species.

Nancy

while i agree that they shouldn't be collected just to be pets, i didn't special order it. i was in the store and i saw her and i knew someone else was going to buy it so the lfs was going to make profit either way. at least i have some experience with cephs and this one will most likely be going to thales to breed with his. since it has already been collected we should try our best to learn about them rather than someone buy it, put it in there tank, and just be a pet and never learn anything from it. that is just my opinion.

Fishkid, please tell us more about your tank.

Did your octopus make a burrow in the sand? How did acclimation go?

Also, since this is a real photo opportunity, you might want to invite someone amoung your friends or family to bring a very good camera over and take some pics for you.

Nancy

acclimation went fine. she made a burrow in the front corner of the tank. i have a decent camera its just she doesnt cooperate with taking pictures.

fishkid6692;135008 said:
I have a decent camera its just she doesnt cooperate with taking pictures.

I know the feeling. Last Xmas Neal replaced my perfectly good Minolta for a Cannon G9 (which has a mode for underwater photos that works well) and let me have it way early because the Minolta just could not take decent pictures of the aquarium inhabitants. Thales and Paradox have made comments about starting yet another hobby to support the first :razz:

some more about the tanks shes in- its a 34g solana cube. i have the stock skimmer and i run a phosban reactor. i also have the red sea aquazone plus 200. haven't seen her out today but she usually comes out about an hour before i turn the lights off. i jst noticed i havevn't named her. any ideas on names?

she hasn't been in her burrow lately. she made a new one in a little cave. a few minutes ago she saw my fish for the first time. as soon as she did she went completely red/brown with no white for a few seconds. it looked really cool. also when shes out she usually never leaves the glass. she still likes to play tug-o-war with my finger but i only let her touch my finger with her tentacles and then she will try to pull her mantle closer to my finger. is she trying to bite me? or just curious? thanks!

The general concurrence of thought is that when they try to bring your finger closer to the center of their webbing, a sampling is desired :wink:. I have not let mine succeed with this so I can't tell you what happens. Judging from our different feeding attempts, it would appear that the suckers closer to the mouth are more sensative to taste than the ones near the end so it is entirely possible that getting a closer "look" at the taste might stop a biting process but if you have the taste of food on your fingers, probably not. All second guessing, of course.

My hummelinckis would try this at first and gentle resistence stopped the process (sometimes the octos would jet away when they could not pull my hand forward). Over a relatively short time, the touching no longer brought on the pulling and eventually they would come to touch and be touched without any suggestion of wanting to sample.

Recently I had another fantacy about what they might be trying to do. The capturing of the feeding stick and not releasing it has been common with most species we keep and Beldar actually seems to be more interested in the stick than the food. He may even be more interested in what is at the end of the stick (my fingers) as he will run his long arms all the way up to touch my fingers (still maintaining full control of the stick). It occurred to me that he may be trying to pull ME into the tank.:mrgreen:

Please bear in mind that there are no data on this species' toxicity. Many brightly colored animals in the wild (including some cephs) are very toxic/venomous and the bright colors serve as a warning sign to potential predators. Wouldn't want you to be the first one to find out that the same is true in Wunderpus.

ok sorry everyone that i haven't updated in a while i've been really busy with school and everything. she made a den next to the mud and burrowed under a rock. she wouldn't take much frozen food. she liked crabs. sadly she stopped coming out of her den about a month ago. i haven't seen any sign of her so i am sure she isn't alive. she was doing great before that so i believe it was old age. i think she started eating the tip of her legs because during the last week i saw her there was arms half missing. i was going to ship her to thales but the parents didn't like the idea of selling something they just bought me.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back