wunderpus. need some help.

i recently purchased a wunderpus from a lfs. they had 2 and the other was sold already. i know this is highly not recommended. this is my forth octo. the tank in a 34g solana cube. he/she has only come out at night. as soon as the lights come out he comes to the glass. i haven't seen it eat yet. there is 2 emeralds, a peppermint shrimp and the CUC for it now. it's mantle is about 3/4-1 inch and its tentacles are 3-4 inches long. how can i tell if it's a male or female. any advice will be greatly appreciated. thanks!!!

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
When looking from the top, the third arm on the right side will be much shorter than the other arms if its a male.

are they nocturnal? because i have only seen her at night. she comes out about 10 minutes after the lights go out and when i go to sleep shes still out. also she still hasn't eaten. shes really active.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Read the other threads! :Grin:
They are crepuscular so they are out in the just before and just after dark.

I almost want to buy her from you to mate to the male I have. :biggrin2:

i've been reading your thread on fontanelle =]. i'm not done yet but i will keep reading. i learned a lot from it. i think within the next week or so i'll be taking down my reef and making it similar to fontanelles tank. i ordered the mineral mud. for now she made her den in the front corner =D. i will post pics tomorrow. she completely buried. and i was thinking the same thing about sending her to you to try and mate them. i've noticed she likes to swim a lot more than the other octos i've kept.

mucktopus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Thales;134923 said:
Read the other threads! :Grin:
They are crepuscular so they are out in the just before and just after dark.

I almost want to buy her from you to mate to the male I have. :biggrin2:

This is a good idea if possible.

shes out of her den this morning. her den didn't cave in like i thought it would. she used an empty hermit shell to cover the opening. i still haven't seen her eat.

shes been out for a while. heres some pics. sorry for the bad pics.

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg