• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Wunderpus journal

Sorry for the lack of updates lately been a little busy. She got bored of frozen scallops and shrimp so back to an only crab diet for now. Still doing really well though. As of tomorrow she will be in my care for exactly 2 months!

Attachments

• image (10).jpg
    image (10).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
I would also like to add that I have a mysid shrimp colony breeding inside the aquarium lol. They came in on the live rock I added when I first set up the aquarium and now there is so many of them.

I would also like to add that I have a mysid shrimp colony breeding inside the aquarium lol. They came in on the live rock I added when I first set up the aquarium and now there is so many of them.
wow, that is great! Is that a feeder source for her?

It has been almost 3 months since she has been in my care! Still doing well, she will accept frozen but will not eat a lot of it. I mainly use it as a supplemental feed when I can’t get crabs due to the weather near me recently. I have not seen her eat any of the mysid shrimp. I attached a video of her eating hopefully it works. Let me know if there are any problems loading it.

Attachments

• IMG_1416.MP4
    23.2 MB
Very cool! Very interesting tank setup!!
Thanks! I decided to try one of the Biorb aquariums. It was easy to octoproof by just putting something with some weight to it on the lid and to cover one hole. It’s filtration is basically a sponge filter and the sand and live rock. I just do 50% water changes to keep nitrates down and that’s about it. I tried to keep the setup as minimal as possible. I’ve tried to read other journals to see what other people tried and evaluated what worked and what didn’t. I also looked at an old article on mimic and wunderpus care and noticed they had some anonymous logs on the lifespan of mimics and wunderpus’. With that chart I noticed one lived to 11 months in a 15 gallon aquarium. I also know Richard Ross had one years ago that lived to 10 months but I forget what size tank it was in, but I know it was connected to a larger system. So I decided to try a small aquarium with large water changes and lots of feedings. She always finds the crabs right away due to the tank being small and she also can see my family and we always try to interact with her to keep her entertained. Three months is definitely not a terrible amount of time for this species in captivity but I’m hoping she keeps going strong with the simple approach.

I am sad to report that she just passed today. She slowed down with eating towards the end of March and completely stopped by April 1st. I did a 40% water change every other day even though water quality was fine. Everything was at 0. She refused to be hand-fed crabs and frozen shrimp and scallops. She stopped hunting as well. Unfortunately I think it was her time. I checked her den for any eggs and none were laid. She acted completely normal besides not eating until she passed. She arrived at the store November 13th, 2020 and she was in my care November 24th, 2020. I have had her almost 4 and a half months. Thanks for coming along for this journey with me and I hope I can come back with another journal some day.

I'm sorry, @fang. 1 year is definitely a good run for a captive ceph. Thank you for sharing her with us! Amazing experience. Looking forward to any future insights and learnings from you - thank you for the insights!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back