• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Wunderpus journal

fang

Blue Ring
Registered
Day 1
I just got a wunderpus today and wanted to share my experience.
Still trying to decide on a name haha.
I did not see the hectocotylus so I'm guessing she is a female.
After being in the tank and exploring for 3 hours she happily ate 2 small crabs.
Seems extremely healthy and will take more photos tomorrow.

Attachments

• acclimating.jpg
    acclimating.jpg
    835 KB · Views: 61
  • firstfewseconds.jpg
    firstfewseconds.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    843.1 KB · Views: 67
Day 2
She was out in the morning for awhile but then went to her den for the rest of the day. I will see if she comes out later tonight.

Day 3
Has been active all day so far. She ate 1 crab while hunting and I hand fed her another small crab. Seems to be doing very well and is very inquisitive of everything going on around her.

Attachments

• image (3).jpg
    image (3).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 58
  • image (4).jpg
    image (4).jpg
    926.3 KB · Views: 68
That s so sad...To think that they were probably trying to impress someone into buying this wonderful rare species by advertising her as a zebra octopus...Anyway, I am glad someone who knows the difference between a mimic and a wonderpus ended up buying her...Please take good care of her and keep posting more amazing photos!

That s so sad...To think that they were probably trying to impress someone into buying this wonderful rare species by advertising her as a zebra octopus...Anyway, I am glad someone who knows the difference between a mimic and a wonderpus ended up buying her...Please take good care of her and keep posting more amazing photos!
Thanks! And I'm not sure, it was listed as a zebra octopus but it had the scientific name of a mimic. Maybe they couldn't tell the species apart. But she came in pristine health and they held her for a week until I was free for an entire day to watch over her. So they did a pretty good job. Either way I will keep posting more about her progress and will keep posting more pictures!

Day 4

She ate 2 crabs this morning. She greets me every morning by swimming up to the front. After a little bit she went under a piece of rock and stayed there the rest of the day. I will post each day until the first week is done. Then I will post updates weekly or so with some photos. I will respond if anyone has any questions or just wants to talk. So far so good!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    2 MB · Views: 55
wow - another wunderpus journal - incredible; thank you for sharing with us; looking forward to following this one! Agree w/ @TheSeeker; it's great that you were able to save this one. And I do mean save.

Congratulations on your new friend, looks great! So glad someone “in the know” got this beauty- they can be a tricky species to keep! Thanks for the great pictures, and please keep sharing!

Thank you guys for the replies! The kind words mean a lot to me. Mimics and wunderpus are 2 of my favorite octos and since they are so unknown I love to be able to share my experience with everyone. She's been out all morning so far and is looking for more crabs so I will have to feed her after this post. She eats around 2 crabs a day which is great how she's eating so voraciously. I will keep you guys updated throughout her life and hopefully its a long one!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back