• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Wunderpus Article

I only asked about photo of the blue ring because of the quality of the shot. I like doing underwater photography when I have the time and money. I use to work for the airline before the layoffs and could fly anyplace for free for a 3 day weekend for 1 day dive trip. Not sure I would want to dive an area that had pissed off mother Blue rings protecting eggs.:snorkel:

Mike Bauer;175037 said:
I am confused by that statement! I have only really kept things in a tanks that I have scuba dived with and see in person. I am a strong supported of the reef protection and feel that critters that have low numbers should be left in the ocean were they belong, I think it is ok to go and visit them in the ocean and photograph them were they live. Besides, I though the point of this site is to answer question people have and provide information. How long would I have to search though posting before I would have found the link you just provided me if I wouldn't have asked. If I want to do a drive trip to see one of this up close and my photograph it, I should be able to find more information on it by asking. Why reinvent the wheel?

I have been browsing the exotic forum and that is why I have been asking question. Daaaaa.

Google: wunderpus mimic difference

Its the first result.

On page 3 of the exotics forum there is a thread called "How to tell whether it's a mimic or wunderpus"

Its also available on my site which you have said you have gone over Wunderpus

You are asking a lot of questions that the answer is easily seachable or googleable. Of course we are here to answer questions, but at the same time our time is limited, none of us gets paid, and googling or searching answers to provide you links that you could search yourself gets tiresome quickly. Please do not take this as anything other than it is - giving you information to make your TONMO experience better.

Keep in mind that I am not posting to you personally! I am asking the general public (all members) what they think, feel and have seen. Anyone who has the time can answer, and those who don't should stress over not having the time. When I go back to work I will have lees time to look and research on this site. It never hurts to ask questions.

Even experienced ceph keepers with mature tanks should think long and hard before obtaining 'exotic' cephalopods (Thaumoctopus, Wunderpus, Metasepia, O. chierchiae, Nautilus, etc) . Their needs are resource intensive, specific, and not yet fully understood. They often do not survive very long in captivity. Perhaps more importantly, the size and health of their wild populations is unknown and therefore, lessening the pressure caused by collection for the hobby on those wild populations seems exceedingly prudent until more is known.

I am not interested in the purchasing part. I am more interested in what steps can be done to protect them from being taken in the 1st place. Can enough people complain and get the (Thaumoctopus, Wunderpus, Metasepia, O. chierchiae, Nautilus, etc) on a protected list as rare and hard to find, if not endangered?

It would be nice if we have a place we could contact to let them know that a place had such an item so that they could question them to see how they got it and mybe stop the collector. But that said! Thanks for info. Mike

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back