• You are viewing our Exotics and Rare Species forum. Please review our Forum Guidelines and Cephalopod Care Ethics Statement to ensure you are appraised of the dangers and considerations related to pursuing exotics and rare species as an aquarist. Threads in this forum are not featured on our homepage.
  • Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. To contribute to the discussion, register here, and perhaps Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.

Wunderpus Article

Nice photo of a blue ring? Is it a photo of one of yours? Never even seen anything on a Wunderpus before now. As to the question of rare, something that should be left in the wild to reproduce so it doesn't die out. Been reading that a nautilids can live a very long time (many years) but the eggs take a year to hatch and they only lay them once or twice a year.

I am confused by that statement! I have only really kept things in a tanks that I have scuba dived with and see in person. I am a strong supported of the reef protection and feel that critters that have low numbers should be left in the ocean were they belong, I think it is ok to go and visit them in the ocean and photograph them were they live. Besides, I though the point of this site is to answer question people have and provide information. How long would I have to search though posting before I would have found the link you just provided me if I wouldn't have asked. If I want to do a drive trip to see one of this up close and my photograph it, I should be able to find more information on it by asking. Why reinvent the wheel?

I have been browsing the exotic forum and that is why I have been asking question. Daaaaa.

I only asked about photo of the blue ring because of the quality of the shot. I like doing underwater photography when I have the time and money. I use to work for the airline before the layoffs and could fly anyplace for free for a 3 day weekend for 1 day dive trip. Not sure I would want to dive an area that had pissed off mother Blue rings protecting eggs.:snorkel:

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Mike Bauer;175037 said:
I am confused by that statement! I have only really kept things in a tanks that I have scuba dived with and see in person. I am a strong supported of the reef protection and feel that critters that have low numbers should be left in the ocean were they belong, I think it is ok to go and visit them in the ocean and photograph them were they live. Besides, I though the point of this site is to answer question people have and provide information. How long would I have to search though posting before I would have found the link you just provided me if I wouldn't have asked. If I want to do a drive trip to see one of this up close and my photograph it, I should be able to find more information on it by asking. Why reinvent the wheel?

I have been browsing the exotic forum and that is why I have been asking question. Daaaaa.

Google: wunderpus mimic difference

Its the first result.

On page 3 of the exotics forum there is a thread called "How to tell whether it's a mimic or wunderpus"

Its also available on my site which you have said you have gone over http://www.stickycricket.com/cuttle/wunderpus/

You are asking a lot of questions that the answer is easily seachable or googleable. Of course we are here to answer questions, but at the same time our time is limited, none of us gets paid, and googling or searching answers to provide you links that you could search yourself gets tiresome quickly. Please do not take this as anything other than it is - giving you information to make your TONMO experience better.

Keep in mind that I am not posting to you personally! I am asking the general public (all members) what they think, feel and have seen. Anyone who has the time can answer, and those who don't should stress over not having the time. When I go back to work I will have lees time to look and research on this site. It never hurts to ask questions.