• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Wunderpus 2 - a nice ethics story

DIGGING

This was cooooool. To the best of my knowledge this is the first burrowing of a den of wunderpus in captivity.

The pics were taken with different cameras. :biggrin2:

1) Near the beginning of the dig
2) Almost in
3) Better shot of almost in
4) Totally in - the mantle is on the bottom

Those are fantastic pictures, has she continued to use the same burrow or make a new one each time? How are you sexing them, was Fontanelle male or just a smaller octopus?

Cheers

The paper that officially describes and names it says that the hectocotylus is much shorter (less than 1/3 the length of other arms) and I believe Thales said this was obvious in Fontanelle, so I'm assuming that's not the case in the new one.

Gotcha

I wonder(pus) if females are perhaps more prone to digging then and where they lay eggs in the wild?

The male dug as well - twice. Then stopped, just like it stopped the interesting displays. He did not however ever dig such a complete den. :biggrin2: Sadly, she hasn't seemed interested in the den again, though it is still there. There are some bristleworms in it now, which may or may not have something to do with her using it. I fully expect her not to bother again.

When I get a chance, I'll post a side by side pic so you can see the third arm size difference for male and female.

These are wonderful photos! How fortunate that she decided to make her den where she's visible.

Some good names suggested already. I was thinking of Peggy Sue.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back