Wow, Giant Squid are Endangered Species? And Cannibals?

Bald Evil said:
I was under the impression that we had to at least have a vague idea of how many of something there were before they could be considered endangered! :lol:

This is a point that is often raised when I start thumping my fist down on tables. Is it really necessary to know exactly how many, or a ballpark figure of how many there are before concern is raised about a species welfare?

We don't know where Architeuthis resides for most of its life; all we do know is that the adults and larvae occur in New Zealand waters. The same applies everywhere else (at least for the adults). So, we don't know much. However, what we do know is that the adults are mercilessly slaughtered in trawlers nets, whether they have or have not had an opportunity to mate and release egg masses.

We also know that the egg masses will be > than 2 metres in diameter, and that they will be spherical and probably float at a depth of ~ 30 metres.

We also know that the egg masses are extremely susceptable to damage, and that once damaged the individual eggs will become little more than fish fodder.

So, the adult squid are being caught while they're breeding; the egg masses of those animals that are not caught in nets stand an excellent chance of being hammered by the trawlers nets.

:alarm:

... and the outcome, common sense, is that the species is threatened. Just 'how threatened' it is I do not know - and I don't think it is important if it is threatened (whatever an index of 'threatened' may be) 99%, 90%, 75%, 50%, 10% or 5%. Exactly when do we start taking notice ... when the species is 50% 'threatened' or 95% 'threatened'. Do we sit back and see whether the number of animals caught in nets declines ... because if it does then it is already too late.

Thump your fists on the table now and scream ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.
... sorry for my little tirade; I'm not picking on you bald evil (ooops, bald eagle), but numbers are not our friends; it doesn't matter whether there's 900,000 or 1000 Architeuthis left (and we'll never know) ... I've just seen too many 'common' species vanish, and people's complacency is the killer, because they all want a 'number' before they act.

I can promise you, 10 years from now all of those sandle-wearing, tree-hugging conservationists will be able to say "I told you so", but that's not what drives them - they would sooner say "I'm sorry, false alarm", but I simply do not see that happening.
Cheers
O

I agree with Steve 100% (and I don't feel picked on, so don't be bothered about that. :wink: ). It's better to sound the fire alarm early than wait until the flames are licking up the walls. The problem is, the masses of mankind are just too damn ignorant and inconsiderate of their planet to notice anything's amiss until the roof falls in (if then). Too many bloody humans on this planet...

But I still thought it was amusing to label a species the author doesn't seem to have any clue about 'endangered' based on one arm being found in one squid tummy. :smile: I guess that's why I'm evil. Don't worry, karma is punishing me for my morbid sense of humour by indefinitely suspending my own reproductive opportunities.

Ack... I just realized I'm endangered too... :goofysca:

:shock: .... that's an old photo!! It is actually of the first specimen I ever received - dates back to 1996. In fact THAT IS THE VERY SQUID THAT DESTROYED MY LIFE!!!

Steve O'Shea said:
THAT IS THE VERY SQUID THAT DESTROYED MY LIFE!!!

Arrr! Avast Ye, Mateey! The very squiddy that sent you to the boneyard to meet Davey Jones in his locker!!

....Didn't he sing for the Monkees?

Yo Steve,

I agree with you about the idea that we have to try to preserve species, even if we don't know how many of the given species exist. BUT everytime someone comes up with a good idea, someone brings up the budget. What I mean is that I know how frustrated you are... I really do... but do be careful about picking your battles.

Keep fighting the good fight!

John

I agree totally about numbers and endangered status. The passenger pidgeon always stuck in my mind from undergrad zoology. Not to mention the American Bison. Both seemed to be REALLY common, until they were gone. I believe the Passenger Pidgeon was said to cover the sky when the flocks flew past :frown:

Makes you think doesn't it?

J

Steve O'Shea said:
Call it karma .... my Neil D poster remains MIA.

Is she just being cruel, or is she trying to help you? I have oodles of respect for you, but this Neil Diamond thing? C'mon, Steve.

I got a song been on my mind
And the tune can be sung and the words all rhyme
Deedle-ee deet deet deet deet deet deet deet dee dee

:shock:

Not suited to a man of your intellect. :wink:

My my my, Sir Dr Ummmmmm........, you certainly have changed your tune :mrgreen:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back