• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

wow cuttlefish for sell in the usa

Hey there, I think's amazing that you found a cuttlefish seller in the US. Can you please provide more information so that I may have the opportunity of owning one too? I've been wanting one for years. Please help, thanks.

noni

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Colin, I bet those Cuttles wouldn't pass up one of those marine shrimp moursels.
Do you think its safe to drop a hundred or two in the tank and let the Cuttle free feed at will? Most shrimp will hide when danger is present.
The Cutttle would have to actually hunt for his meals.
Thanks,
George.

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Hi Noni

The shrimp are one of the cuttles favourite food, they prefer crabs and will swim past a shrimp to get one but otherwise they are excellent for them. The shrimps i used were palemon serratus, naturally from scottish waters.

Yeah, i think that a lot could be dumped in at once, cuttles are quite glutinous though LOL

They learn pretty quickly to attack a shrimp from behind and will spin about behind the shrimp to sneak up on it. otherwise the shrimp usually escapes

Cheers
C

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
i really dont think that passed 4 inches or so they care either way. But as juveniles they prfer to hide.

In a tank with a lot of clutter, if they get a fright they are likely to shoot off backwards and hurt themselves though

Yeah, that is the part that worries me... the "butt burn" as I have seen it called. I thought perhaps they would feel more comfortable with clutter as they know they can hide better and have less of a tendency to dart off. I also was hoping that they would be smart enough to not dart into objects they can see....

hey i used to work at a southern cal. fish store (petown) and we only got 1 cuttlefish in the whole time i worked there and he was there for like 3 months and didnt grow... i think he was bandensis too...problem is they only get shipped as adults and none of the wholesalers pick them up because of the upkeep...cheap southern california wholesalers...*shakes fist* :evil:

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
from my experiences with cuttles they will dart off backwards not expecting anything behind them and bump into whatever is there. I am sure that a rounded tank with sloping edges is actually the best thing for them...

C

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtledragon

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak