Would you come to TONMOcon at Monterey, Aug. 5-7, 2005?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:sad: I just don't think I will be able to afford it, it's so far to travel for me and my wages have just dropped by £3500 pa. I really would love to have been there and met you all. Maybe next year, unless I win the lottery in the meantime. Very sorry.

I'm going to try to make it -- I live in long-driving distance, but I've been wanting to see what's new at MBA for quite some time; I used to be a member, but I wasn't getting up enough to keep that up.

SCUBA is quite fun there, altho the water is COLD-- I haven't dived right at the pier, but nearby at "Monestary Beach" (or something like that) my experience was that it was kinda surgey and there was a lot of kelp to contend with, but there were lots of nifty critters in the kelp and reefs.

Another good place for marine bio nuts is a bit further up the coast, but (I think) worth a few hours excursion: http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/smc/department/home/0,,5556687_12305999_12328451,00.html

It has wonderful tide-pool critters. I've only seen octopi there once or twice, but still, pretty neat. I seem to remember some good tidepools near Carmel that might be closer but I don't know exactly where they are.

Stanford University has a marine science lab near Monterey, but it appears the grad student I knew there has long since moved on.

Anyway, I really hope I'll get to meet all you cephalophiles in August....

monty said:
SCUBA is quite fun there, altho the water is COLD-- I haven't dived right at the pier, but nearby at "Monestary Beach" (or something like that) my experience was that it was kinda surgey and there was a lot of kelp to contend with, but there were lots of nifty critters in the kelp and reefs.

Monastery Beach can be extremely dangerous to dive, a friend of mine resqued a shark attack victim there about 12 years ago. On local dive maps there is even a little great white icon there, he even has a name that I can't remember offhand. And the surge is nothing compared to the waves you have to contend with getting in and out of the water. Because of the slope of the beach there, and the depth of the canyon just a few hundred feet offshore, waves crest and break in as little as 10ft., which means that shorediving Monastery Beach is like surfing Teahupo'o on bad days. :shock: I've been thrown a number of times, and nearly lost gear as well.

That being said, it's my favorite place to dive in Monterey. Diving by the breakwater/Coast Guard pier reminds me of the cattle boats in FL. Not my idea of a good time, but it is safer.

I'd really, really love to come. it sure sounds great.

but unfortunately there is an entire ocean between me and monterey.
and I just checked the sock under my bed and it told me not to bother. just can't afford it right now.

maybe next time.

pipsquek said:
Monastery Beach can be extremely dangerous to dive, a friend of mine resqued a shark attack victim there about 12 years ago. On local dive maps there is even a little great white icon there, he even has a name that I can't remember offhand. And the surge is nothing compared to the waves you have to contend with getting in and out of the water. Because of the slope of the beach there, and the depth of the canyon just a few hundred feet offshore, waves crest and break in as little as 10ft., which means that shorediving Monastery Beach is like surfing Teahupo'o on bad days. :shock: I've been thrown a number of times, and nearly lost gear as well.

That being said, it's my favorite place to dive in Monterey. Diving by the breakwater/Coast Guard pier reminds me of the cattle boats in FL. Not my idea of a good time, but it is safer.

yikes! the guy who arranged to meet there for a dive said it was "a beach where a lot of beginner SCUBA classes meet," so it was rougher than I was expecting, but it sounds like we got off pretty easy, from what you're saying!
I guess the theory is to weed out the "weak" beginner divers with the sharks... "That which does not kill you makes you stronger..."

Unfortunately, I haven't been diving in years, and it's likely I need a, uh, roomier wetsuit.... :snorkel:

I decided to save money on lodgings so I have some left over for filet mignon, activities, and cephalopod souvenirs! Rebecca and I have gotten rooms at the Downtown Monterey Travelodge a few blocks from the conference center. The rates for a single queen-sized bed are $65.00/nightly (not including tax). Go to :

www.monterey.com

and click on motels. A number of listings that were not part of the hotel group-rate package will be viewable. As for the hotels, we're still reviewing group rates. The average seems to be around $160.00 per night for two people, but if a block of eighteen rooms can be filled, the Monterey Hilton is offering a rate of $120.00 per night, which is quite good. August will be nearly the busiest time of the year for tourism, as it is one of the warmest along this windy coastline. If not networking with others for the hotel deal, my advice is to get on this now. At least secure reservations!

Erich

Chrono, I'm not sure who's coming out with their folks, but have you and Squidman thought about splitting a room to cut down on the prices? This is what a lot of people do when going to conventions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back