Wonderpus journal - Scott

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
So sorry to hear that! While it probably wasn’t an infection, (which I personally have never dealt with) He may have been approaching senescence, too. If you have been seeing less of him over a couple of weeks then that could definitely be part of it. So sorry you’ve had this tough experience, but don’t give up! You did everything you could with this one, and we love to see more from you in the future!

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
So sorry to hear that! While it probably wasn’t an infection, (which I personally have never dealt with) He may have been approaching senescence, too. If you have been seeing less of him over a couple of weeks then that could definitely be part of it. So sorry you’ve had this tough experience, but don’t give up! You did everything you could with this one, and we love to see more from you in the future!
I meant WAS an infection!

Boogeyman

Cuttlefish
Registered
Just a quick update as far as what’s Happened in the tank. I bought a watchmen goby to see if there was any kind of bacterial pathogen in the water. He is still alive and well so that’s good. Nothing in the water. I went ahead and bought a snowflake eel as well. Much cheaper feeding wise, no more trips to tampa for live food.

Eventually I will get another octo but not for now.

I did notice something not good. It was on one of the shrimp. 2 to be exact. I took them out and trashed them. No idea what it is. I noticed a pulsating pattern on its head as if it was “zombified” by a parasite. Moving back and forth, it was clear white, middle of the head, connected to its eyes. It just pulsated back and forth. As far as that big black thing on it, no idea. Looks like a parasite.

Attachments

• 5B296F8C-2D84-494C-BAA1-93E7FAE0139B.jpeg
    5B296F8C-2D84-494C-BAA1-93E7FAE0139B.jpeg
    895 KB · Views: 24

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Glad your existing tank dwellers are doing well... strange issue there. I wish there was someone you could ship it to who could run some analysis...

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
The black bulge is definitely a common parasite, however, it is not likely what killed the octopus. I did not feed the shrimp live that had these but did remove the parasite and offer the shrimp dead (it is almost impossible to remove it and have the shrimp live).