Winkin, Blinkin and Nod

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Sorry for the death.

It happens.
If the shrimp were polluted, I would expect you would have seen effects in the cuttle before it died.
It could have been due to fighting, but the scavengers in the tank make it hard to tell.

Opcn

GPO
Registered
Maybe run a copper test on the shrimp. sorry abut your loss, that just sucks.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Opcn,
Copper is unlikely since my baby octos and the remaining cuttle are fine but I have never run a metals test. I use RO/DI water (made at home) and change out my DI resin regularly.

This is not only sad but really frustrating (thanks for the symphathy/emphathy everyone) both cuttles were growing and eating very well. Blinkin has taken over the hidy hole that Winkin used frequently but they were often close to each other and never had any kind of marks indicating fighting.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Wrong name for surviving Octo

I think that Blinkin expired and not Winkin. The significance of this is that Blinkin was always very shy and was not observed much. The two were growing at the same rate so I am sure both were eating but Blinkin's shyness may have had something to do with the reason he died. I thought he had taken over Winkin's favorite cave but when I went to check on him today, he came toward me rather than moving out of site. I don't think the behavior change is because there is now only one cuttle so I think the more active one is the one still living.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I lost the last Cuttle yesterday

After 3.5 months, my third cuttlefish died. He had become more recluse this last two weeks and only occassionally ventured to the front of his "cave" when I would check on him. He was eating very well (six shore shrimp nightly) until he died.

I think the water quality (and thus the keeper) may have been to blame. No ammonia or nitrite and the nitrates were elevated but not excessive on my strip test but when I cleaned out the tank, I found the sand to contain a lot of organic residue. I had not been stirring it when I did water changes as it did not appear polluted :oops: but when I cleaned the tank and started stirring the substrate, there was a brownish cloud. I changed out 90 percent of the water and will do a couple of more stirs and changes before using the tank again for two of my mercs. Thankfully, my clean-up crew (including a small common star and 2 serpants) are all doing well in spite of my massive panic water change.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Sorry D.

Can you tell me more about your feeding regimen? Were you feeding 6 at the same time? Did you see all of the shrimp get taken? How big were the shrimp?