• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Will i see him?

njfish77

Cuttlefish
Registered
Well i just bought in octo and i was just wondering if he will come out or not after a certain period of time or will he just stay hiding during the day?

:welcome: If I haven't already...Give him time. Do you know what kind he is? Where did you get him from? The biggest mistake new octopus owners make is #1 Adding an octopus before the tank is fully cycled and #2 acclimating too fast, and searching the tank for him by physically moving rocks etc. They need time to adjust to their new surroundings so don't be surprised if he hides for a week or more.

Good luck and patience! They are well worth the wait!

Carol

I named him/her inkie ( i know its original but i like it lol) well yes i dripped him for 2 hours, i left him alone in the tank i didnt want to stress him out so i think hes doing good. ive had him for 4 days now. Hes very very active at night and he ate 2 crabs last night. This morning i turned the light on ( i have a very dim light on the tank and i saw his tentacles wiggling out of rock so i watched him and he used his tentacles to find a piece of rubble and block the hole in so he was kind in the dark. Their such smart animals :smile:

It's a very good sign that inkie is eating. :smile: How large is inkie?
Do you have any idea what species he is?

I'll add him to the List of Our Octopuses at the top of the Journals and Photos Forum. Welcome to inkie!

Could inkie possibly be nocturnal? You need a red light (like a flashlight with a red lens or covered with red film) to view a nocturnal octopus in a way that he can't see you.

Please keep posting about inkie - we're all interested.

Nancy

Yes he is deff. nocturnal because he comes out the second the lights are off. He got very angry at him when i shined the light on him so i took it away quickly and im trying to find a red film to put over it so i can view him. any ideas?

Clean out the pebble a little every once in a while so he gets exersize putting them back up and he doesnt block himself into the cave...lots of stress and possible death from getting trapped in a cave and for your light problem use lights that have a blue shine...in the night in day use regular ones what with a very very very thin peice of blue tissue paper you can get him to come out a litle more...its important for him to have a normal life style for time so he lives long and is healthy

oh and grats on your octo!
im getting one sooner or later when i have enough money to buy this nice tank and stand...and anough money to buy 75gallons on "real" sea water...not to mention the 200 dollar protein skimmer and the life rock...

Animal JoBio said:
Clean out the pebble a little every once in a while so he gets exersize putting them back up and he doesnt block himself into the cave...lots of stress and possible death from getting trapped in a cave and for your light problem use lights that have a blue shine...in the night in day use regular ones what with a very very very thin peice of blue tissue paper you can get him to come out a litle more...its important for him to have a normal life style for time so he lives long and is healthy

Actually, blue lights for "night level" are about the worst thing you can use: octopuses are most sensitive in the blue-green spectrum, so if you had white during the day and blue at night, the poor octo would see it as bright light all the time, and probably be too scared to ever come out. For something that makes it look dark to the octopus, but will provide light for humans to see it in action, red light is the way to go-- to the octopus, it's as invisible as infra-red is to us humans...

Well i have a white light during the day which i dimmed very much by putting a dark sheet between the light and the light. Im viewing him with a red light now but im not sure if he sees it or not?? how can you tel if an octopus is mad?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back