Wikipedia articles

Hi there,

Some time ago I started two articles on Wikipedia (Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) with the aim of listing all known specimens (including larvae and juveniles) of giant and colossal squid. These articles can be viewed here: (colossal squid) List of colossal squid specimens and sightings - Wikipedia and (giant squid) List of giant squid specimens and sightings - Wikipedia (warning: 137 KB!). Over the past few months I have been adding records and information as I find them (these forums have proved very helpful in my searching!). However, both lists are still rather lacking.

The list of colossal squid is particularly incomplete. It is possible that several of the records I have listed there actually cover the same specimen(s). If someone who is knowledgeable on the subject could check it over I would very much appreciate it.

The list of giant squid is in much better shape, thanks to the great resources that are available. However, I don't have access to any references that have a comprehensive list of giant squid specimens since 1996, so this part of the list is very incomplete (hence numbering of records stops around this point). Through online reports, I know of many specimens from the last decade that are not listed, but I would prefer to cite academic journals instead of newspaper reports if possible. I was hoping that maybe some members on these forums might be able to help me out with completing the list and finding solid references.

A number of images can be found at the bottom of the giant squid article. I am always looking for new public domain images to add to the gallery (as well as higher quality versions of the ones already there). If anyone has access to images not included in the article then please consider uploading them.

On a side note, if the idea of Wikipedia appeals to you, then you might want consider joining WikiProject Cephalopods (Wikipedia:WikiProject Cephalopods - Wikipedia) and/or improving any of the numerous Cephalopod-related (or otherwise) articles that are out there.

Best Regards,
Michael.

Thanks for sharing -- there are several Wikipedia articles from the ceph project with links to TONMO.com -- I would think the Giant Squid & Colossal Squid Fact Sheet would be of interest to the folks visiting your page!

As TONMO.com strives to be a comprehensive resource on all things related to cephs, we're remiss to not have the lists of sightings found on your pages... thanks for sharing the link! Looks great.

Argonautautidae;82536 said:
Hi there,

Some time ago I started two articles on Wikipedia (Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) with the aim of listing all known specimens (including larvae and juveniles) of giant and colossal squid. These articles can be viewed here: (colossal squid) List of colossal squid specimens and sightings - Wikipedia and (giant squid) List of giant squid specimens and sightings - Wikipedia (warning: 137 KB!). Over the past few months I have been adding records and information as I find them (these forums have proved very helpful in my searching!). However, both lists are still rather lacking.

You probably already know this, but Richard Ellis has a table of all the giant squid specimens he was aware of in the back of one of his books, probably In Search of the Giant Squid (I may have the title slightly wrong.)

And thanks for contributing to wikipedia. I occasionally fact-check the giant squid page, but I haven't looked at it recently.

- M

Thanks Monty, that's where I've seen it. I have his copy of "The Search for the Giant Squid" in arms distance from my PC :smile:... We exchange emails perhaps once a year or so (usually acting as a liaison for him when people are asking for permission for use of photos/artwork, or speaking engagements, etc.)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back