Why, hello.

MsV

Blue Ring
Registered
Hi there, I'm one of those who has been lurking for a while, mostly doing research before venturing into owning one of these fascinating beasts. So, er, now I have a very suspicious little bimac poking his head around a corner of rock, and here I am. (At least, I think he is a bimac - the LFS were quite uncertain, and given he's the size of a quarter, it's a little hard to tell - at least to untutored eyes!)

You may find me asking some pretty dumb questions sometimes, as I have no experience in marine inverts, but I promise to always search the archives before bothering you! :smile:

I'm a bit nuts about animals generally, but given I tend to live in inner city apartments smaller than most people's garages, I have to keep this firmly in check. Currently the menagerie consists of two Cornish Rex cats (who are FRANTICALLY interested in the new tank, the moving occupant, and even more so in the dozen or so very small crabs the LFS gave me as starting food) and, of course, Oliver ('cos he always wants some more).

I'm in San Francisco, where it has momentarily stopped raining but is still chilly enough, fell off my motorbike on the weekend and have a terrible cold - so I think I'll now go kill my evening nursing my bruises, snuffling into a kleenex, and reading through four years of amassed archival wisdom. :biggrin2:

Welcome to the site!

You'll find lots of good information on the Ceph Care forums and you might want to post about your new octopus on Journals and Photos, or ask care questions on Octopus Care.

There are Ceph Care articles if you click on Articles above, including a bimac care sheet.

Did your LFS tell you where your little octopus comes from?
It might or might not be a bimac. Does it have eyespots?

Nancy

I did indeed - and I met you there that day, too. :smile: How are the cuttlefish? (And just today I was thinking of your tale of your octo recognising some people and inking - Oliver is starting to get distinctly peeved every time Kumi, my younger cat, jumps on top of the tank and watches him)

The octo that he was asked to ID at our mutual LFS is now taunting my cats through a thick layer of glass. :smile: Small town, this. His link, if you follow, shows pics of the octo in question.

Now I've had Oliver for a few days, I'm going to say that the pics Paradox posted are of him in a highly over-excited/stressed state. Hanging out in his rock garden, he's usually a far paler and more eye-spotted, mottled color. :biggrin2:

monty;110072 said:
:welcome: to TONMO. I don't see the link, though...
hey Monty, I linked to it in my previous post.

Yes, nice to meet you as well. Its always exciting to meet people with the rare enthusiasm for our tentacled friends. Especially ones that are local!

The story about an old Octo pet of mine did include inking, but not necessarily of when my ex-girlfriend came into the room.

The ex-girlfriend at this time wanted to see the octopus ink one day when I was not around. So she tried to scare it to do so. Since then, this octo would often turn black like a lump of coal when she came and peered into the tank. This was very much in contrast to the flashing of colors the octo would often express to me when I was present. :biggrin2:

Well neighbor, welcome to Tonmo, the Cephalophile Support group :talker: What area of SF are you in?

thanks for the link (yup, it looks like a small, brown octopus... I'm not much help, I guess.) Sheesh, your ex sounds a bit mean, but it's interesting to have another bit of anecdotal evidence that octos can tell individual people apart.

monty;110100 said:
thanks for the link (yup, it looks like a small, brown octopus... I'm not much help, I guess.) Sheesh, your ex sounds a bit mean, but it's interesting to have another bit of anecdotal evidence that octos can tell individual people apart.

Well there are reasons in which she is my EX-girlfriend :razz:
Ive found some octos to be much more personable that others. Although I would like to assume that this octo reacted the way it did due to an emotional association to me or my ex, but in reality, her presence was probably seen as a physical threat, while I represented an endless source of expensive food!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back