• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

why do octo's need 55 gallons?

i notice you said that you were going to get a bimac earlier in the post, but asked about a dwarf octo minimum tank requirements. my point is which one are you leaning too? bimacs get much bigger than dwarfs and need something as big as a 55 (earlier stated on this forum)

Dwarfs are less suited for reef environments than a Bimac would be. While Bimacs do not like bright lights, dwarfs hate all light. By putting one in a reef you are almost guaranteed to never see it until nighttime. Also, coral choice is limited with any ceph. There are sacrifices that have to be made if you want to keep an octopus. If you get a young, healthy octopus you should have an experience well worth the price.

I guess you would have something to look at during the day when the octopus is hiding/sleeping, although it would be REALLY HARD to find a dwarf octopus among branches and polyps of corals in the dark.

Then again this is another thing that just hasn't been experimented with that much because of the general "species only" concept. Just like more rock makes an octo more likely to move about the tank freely and comfortably. Coral pieces might add to that, but caution should be taken not to combine aggressively defensive corals with octos which have very sensitive skin. Sure they roam the reef in the ocean, but they have almost infinite amounts of space to avoid bumping into dangerous obstacles, whereas in the aquarium, they have inches here and inches there, and if startled, might very well end up caught in a bad situation.

You'll get the most enjoyment out of an octopus in a 100% safe environment. It's nerve-racking enough just worrying about whether or not your octopus is healthy when you get it without adding the extra stress of whether or not your tank decorations are safe and suitable.

good catch, guys.

I just left the post's head on a pike, since I figured I should leave your posts to give you credit as "neighborhood watch," and as a probably-futile gesture to make future spammers say "these guys are serious about deleting spam, I should find greener spam pastures."

Hi

yeah, I'd say so... It will make it easier when it comes time to get an octopus as you will be more familiar with all the ins and outs of how an aquariums works :smile:

ok i think i'll do that,bye all. . . . . for now:lol::old:(by the way i'll still sometimes check back up on the site)so i'll come back when im looking for a dwarf thanks to all who have helped me:biggrin2::oops:i'll be back:cry::bonk::sly::goodbye:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back