• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Why are the wunderpus and mimic octopuses considered endangered?

I asked him what else he imported and he said he got a lot of Mimic octopuses. I told him I didn't want one of those either having read around online that they are or may be endangered, dangerous and are not well understood.
I've only read a bit of the threads here about the mimic (wunderpus?), but I got the impression that the strong urging against keeping them is not based on knowledge, or even an educated guess, but rather goes something like "since we don't know, let's just assume they're endangered, until somebody does a population study." Am I missing something, or is that correct? Do these things only live in a single bay or something? Why assume they're endangered? Who are we expecting would pay for a population study?

What percentage of the tropical fish trade is made up of octopuses of any species (.001% ?). Is it realistic to be afraid that thousands of people are going to want to buy these things? I'd be surprised if 500 people per year, world wide, try to keep one of these. If feels more like a religious prohibition than prudent wildlife management.

I can see why a responsible author, writing an article about how amazing these things are, to be read by millions of reef keepers, might blindly discourage people from considering them, for fear of triggering a fad. bit I don't think it's logical for people like us to avoid them in the absence of such a buying frenzy, and in the absence of any reason to believe that they are endangered. Are there reasons I don't know about?

Thoughts?

I have no idea, I've gone only from what I've read here and on one or two other sites.

On the other hand, why assume they're not endangered? Better to be safe than sorry? I personally wouldn't want to keep any endangered animal that I couldn't breed, and since it's not actually known (by me at least), I err on the side of caution.

Wasn't there also a question mark over whether its venom was dangerous to humans?

Joe,
That is a good topic to address and I am hoping our two in situ observers will reply with observations and local information (yes, the concern is observed, not just an unsubstantiated rumor). There are a number of discussions in the exotics forum but I would like to move, with your consent, the post to its own thread there in hopes that Roy and Mucktopus will reply in a place that can easily be referenced.

Katy,
I think you may be thinking about the flamboyant cuttle that only recenly was examined for and found serious toxins in the flesh, so consumption would be the issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back