• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Which protein skimmer do you have, and do you recommend it?

Inception7;115203 said:
What size for the Red Seas? I've used Cpr, Tunze, Euro Reef, Remoras, Red Seas and the only one that I would use again would be Euro's maybe Remoras.

I think the Red Seas say they are good for 100gal but I have them on a 65 and 55 gal and they seem to get the job done. Can't go wrong for $39 used but they definitely take a little patience to get the adjustment right and I'm sure their are much better skimmers available but on a budget they work.

I'm happy with my coralife super skimmer. Easy to clean, easy to set up. I modified the collection cup so that it has a drain tube on it in case it overflows (usually due to not adjusting it properly).

Thales, Paradox - plumbing help

We are trying to design plumbing for a recirculating skimmer (trying this kind on a "new" tank after ya'll discussed it awhile back). The tank has two distinct sides, joined by two tubes so we want overflow on both sides. We want to try feeding the skimmer with water from at least one of the overflows (prefer not to join them but that is still an option) and don't quite know where to put flow control valves to ensure enough flow to the skimmer. Even with a single overflow line, we don't know enough about paths of least resistence to be sure there is enough diverted to the skimmer so recommendations for plumbing are solicited (begged, desired, pleaded).

i will throw my 2 cents here, i currently run a msx200, soon to have the pin wheel! i have used the reef octo 150, great skimmer for the $. i have a remora... its ok, not great. the super skimmers are not too bad, but are better in an in-simp set up because they do have the tendency to over flow. berlin skimmers are just about garbage, they do work, but so does the sea clown. we run a berlin at the shop and i have to do a vinager bath about ebery 6 months to keep it form getting a ton of salt build up, and the pumps are very weak for how big they are. i would put one on a 55 or smaller. reef octopus skimmer are the way to go for the money, and i love my msx skimmer, a little more but worth it!

dwhatley;117613 said:
We are trying to design plumbing for a recirculating skimmer (trying this kind on a "new" tank after ya'll discussed it awhile back). The tank has two distinct sides, joined by two tubes so we want overflow on both sides. We want to try feeding the skimmer with water from at least one of the overflows (prefer not to join them but that is still an option) and don't quite know where to put flow control valves to ensure enough flow to the skimmer. Even with a single overflow line, we don't know enough about paths of least resistence to be sure there is enough diverted to the skimmer so recommendations for plumbing are solicited (begged, desired, pleaded).

Oops, sorry I missed this post! I tend to only click on cuttlefish related things -)

You probably already found the answer, but if not, I would actually have both overflows connect to a larger diameter pipe and then connect to a T. The center connector of the T will go the skimmer and the other end of the T should goto a valve. (Use a gate valve for they have the most precise control) After the Gate valve, it should go to the sump.

If you have a large enough skimmer, you can have the gate valve completely closed. I personally dont have a Huge flow rate in this area for I also have the pipe on my return tapped twice. One to feed my baby cuttle section which drains back into the sump, and one to feed 2 daisy chainged reactors that use GFO and Carbon. Im guessing my flow rate is around 7-8 hundred gph on my 150. Most of the circulation in the tank is from the two Vortechs.

Let me know if you need more detailed descriptions or a picture of my frankensteined setup :razz:.

Hurrumph, since you didn't respond (take this with a grin please, I could have PMed), we played around with ideas on paper and think we have a solution. If we don't get the desired results, you will get a PM from me though :wink:. We hope to get it plumbed (needed to order a couple of parts that we could not find locally) I will post a picture and ask for your thoughts though.

Thanks,

WoW, I was under the influence ( NOW I MUST RE THINK A LOT! :sad: ) that the best Marine Filtration system available on the Market at the moment were a Wet/Dry Setup, Siiighhhh, back to the books. the only things I can see as Filtration would be 1.)Wet/Dry 2.)Canister (internal/External) 3.)Hang-on External 4.) Undergravel (which is just NO GO for Ceph's).

So :hmm: if a Wet/Dry system is not the go and you want to give your ceph an "A Class" setup what would be the best sort of Filtration to go...... SURELY it's not a Canister Filter is it?.... I mean I got nothing against them what so ever, and they are all to easy to get going. PLEASE enlighten me to the Optimum Filtration setup from the list above (1-4) OR anything I have missed please.

Cheers

At a Glance

On a Quick note I have JUST noticed some people using canister filters for there setups like 'DocFrye' and '3000gtman' I see a Fluval, Ehiem Canister and an Ehiem Canister Wet/Dry, I thought that Wet/Dry was the best filter to go (not canister version though..).

Can anyone vouch for these filters, if a canister is the way to go for Filtration? :eek2: It will only speed up the process of me getting all these things together :lol:

Canister's need to be cleaned very often.

Why not just remove the bio-balls or whatever from the wet/dry and use it as a sump? A good skimmer and a sump with or without a refugium is the typical filtration setup for a reef tank. Really it's just a matter of opinion/preference. The sump though is basically just a place to hold more water, adding more water volume to your entire system. And if it's big enough you can hide all your equipment in there, and have a section where you can grow macroalgae to export nutrients from your water (refugium) to supplement the skimmer.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back