• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Which protein skimmer do you have, and do you recommend it?

ive never used the visi-jet, but for as low as 30g most any skimmer will do, lower end ones usually come with everything you need, and if not, a gph pump rating is probably on the box, i never use the bubble trap thingies, but it most likely comes with the skimmer too.

Jon

I have a Deltec MC500 since this was the best I could get for the limited space in the sump, but now they have the MC600. This has a more powerful pump.

both brilliant drop in, plug and play, does a fine job for me although no octo yet but when its been needed its kicked in an pulled loads of poo out the tank :biggrin2:

If you are on a budget, why don't you buy a cheap knockoff skimmer. Then replace the pump that came with the cheap skimmer with a better, well known brand pump. This trick allows me to spend more $$$ on livestock =)
Check out this site for some cheap knockoffs, www.aquatraders.com

Coralife Super Skimmer 3004

I am using 2 Coralife Super Skimmer 3004's good for upto 220G I have them both on my 600G tank and work ver well, one trick is to keep the neck of the collection cup clean, I try to clean it once everyday. Very easy to setup, they are a good price.:yinyang:

Here's one I don't recommend... The Odyssea 75... Of course, because it is a holiday weekend, something has to go wrong with the tank. I was emptying the collection cup when I heard the sound of water pouring onto the floor behind the tank. When I removed the collection cup, I had cracked the chamber. Not the valve where it joins to the main chamber, but the chamber itself. I tried to silicone it, but it still leaked. So I raced down to the local chain pet store and found a SeaClone 150, hooked it up in about 3 minutes and plugged it in.

The Odyssea came with no instructions (I never figured out if the LFS took them out or if there were never any instructions), so it took me about 45 minutes to piece it together... And I have had protein skimmers in the past, so I already knew the basic concept...

In my Cuttlefish set up @ school they are running Red Sea Berlin skimmers, that I cant get the water level high enough on to produce skimm. So i think they are terrible.
I want to upgrade to a Euro Reef or ASM or somthing of that quality soon, any tips.

On my reef setup at home I run CPR Bac pac 2R+ on a 40 that does an excellent job despite the pump noise.

Hello everyone ! :sagrin:

I have an ALS predator 2 skimmer on my 200g system. There is an Iwaki 40HD external water pump pushing the water up into the top of the skimmer, which sits to the left of my display. It's plumbed into a 5g rubbermaid tub, which in turn on the opposite side has PVC draining down into the sump via gravity. I plan to have 5 Red Mangrove saprolings in the tub that should efficently, and organically remove the nitrates from the water.
The skimmer is the only filtration I have presently, other than the obvious biological filtration from my 200lb of live rock and some chaeto. My water is always crystal clear - and my fish and corals seem very happy. My system isn't aged enough to get my bimac yet, but within 8 - 9 months, I should be ready .... I can't wait !

I run a Euroreef CS-80 [in sump] for my 55 gallon tank....it's been running for about 7 months and it's working great.
The manual it came with was great for explaining how to piece it together, but I've found Euroreefs need a lot of calibration before they start working well. I definitely recommend Euroreef though!

PROTEIN SKIMMER MADNESS

I PURCHASED TWO TUNZE SKIMMERS AS MY FIRST ENDEAVOR

I WAS NOT IMPRESSED WITH ITS FLIMSY CONSTRUCTION COMPARED TO EQUAL COMPETITORS BUT YET SIMILAR PRICING

REPETIVE REPOSITIONING OF THE PUMP AND TUBING IS FRUSRTATNG REQUIRING COMPLETE BREAKDOWN OF THE UNIT
IT WAS RIDICULOUS AND THEY CLAIM IT CAN HANDLE

THERE IS NO WAY THE 9010 CAN HANDLE 264 GALLONS REGARDLESS OF THEIR TECHNOLOGY CLAIMS

ITS INCONSISTENT IN PERFORMANCE HAS BEEN ON THE MARKET ONLY ONE YEAR ALTOUGH THEY HAVE AN OLDER MODEL

BUT CHECK THIS OUT THE COMPANY INSTRUCTTS YOU TO USE THE PRODUCT FOR SEVERAL DAYS BEFORE CALLING WITH ANY CONCERNS BUT THEY DONT TELL YOU THAT IF YOU USE IT THEY WILL NOT TAKE IT BACK EVEN IF FOR SEVERAL DAYS AS INSTRUCTED BY THEM
I WAS LUCKY MY DISRIB TOOK IT BACK BEC I SPENT SEVBTHOUSAND DOLLARS IN SETTING UP A NEW REFF SYTEM BUT

I WILL NEVER EVER PURCHASE TUNZE AGAIN

I CURRENTLY HAVE TWO EUROREEFS MUCH BETTER MADE FOR MY
300 gl reef tank

BUYER BEWARE AND GET ASKIMMER THATS 50 % larger than the actual volume so you can grow with it

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back