which octo?

I believe there are two showing. The big question is, how much do they look like the second picture

Attachments

• conv_296081.png
    conv_296081.png
    164 KB · Views: 93
  • conv_296082.png
    conv_296082.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 99
yep those are them d....what is the 2nd pic cause it looks like those? there definetely at least 6 coming from the same area

Have you figured out the second picture yet? Hint - you took the photo and it is posted on this thread.:sagrin:

Six would not be a normal serpent star.:biggrin2:

okay you got me d...thats a good one.. eating again tonight but the strpes look white tonight....im thinking serpant starbecause the stripes seem almost equal in ratio

I was not really trying to "get you" but went back to look at the picture (that is really a good photo of a new hatch) to see what the arms looked like when they were first born because I had no clue (and I half remembered a stripe pattern - mercs don't show a pattern like this so I noticed it when you posted). The absence of an explanation was intentionally devilish but the comparison was serious.

As I allueded to above, serpent typically only have 5 arms like most starfish so if you counted 6, keep guessing. I did try to find my night worm that looks like a serpent but never moves but I rearranged some of the rock in Puddles tank and I am afraid I moved it and can't find it now. I think the "arms" of this thing are much slimmer than what you are watching though.

Try touching an arm with a tiny piece of shrimp on a string and see if it grabs the string. Serpents can bend their arms a lot but you might be able to see more of what is under the rock.

what gets me though is they look whiteish in the pic..this was the color i had seen but then green at night....oh well some days your the bug some days you are the windshield

Attachments

• conv_296103.jpg
    conv_296103.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
there are 4 in that pic..maybe it was 5 i counted...she moves them in and out the holes pretty fast and with trying to angle myself i obviously miscounted

Unfortunately little hairs are not part of an octo's physique, good shot though.

trying to angle myself i obviously miscounted

Our tall skinny tank is acrylic with rounded courners and we see double frequently. It made fish counting a real issue when we had 5 fish. With only 3 now it is not as problematic but seeing them on one side (it is a hex shaped tank) still makes it hard to relocate the same thing around the corner.

If nothing else, taking lots of pictures and carefully examining your tank is letting you find the interesting stuff you might miss for years (or never have spotted).

yep thats why i said we have an answer.....weird thing is you couldnt see the little hairs with the eye...worst case scenerio i get to pick out a new octo from the store

I have found pictures (taking tons and then reviewing the detail and keeping only the ones that are crisp or show something I had not seen with my eyes) are super helpful. I have never seen the channel that Roy and Mucktopus often refer to on the hectocotylus and "say" is easy to spot but I have a decent photo of it on my thread that talks about how to determine a male octopus.

Alas, If you are going to keep cephs, one has to get used to learning and appreciating each individual and going forward with the next one. I have no gulit about taking them out of the wild as long as I provide a home and care for natural life expectancy (with the exception of the exotics). Their lives in the wild are often as food (human or critter, in part or as a whole) so I feel keeping them in a safe environment is not unfair to the animal (in spite of the "glass cage") but it is hard to give them up when they pass.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back