• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

which octo?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Have you figured out the second picture yet? Hint - you took the photo and it is posted on this thread.:sagrin:

Six would not be a normal serpent star.:biggrin2:

sulley

Wonderpus
Registered
okay you got me d...thats a good one.. eating again tonight but the strpes look white tonight....im thinking serpant starbecause the stripes seem almost equal in ratio

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I was not really trying to "get you" but went back to look at the picture (that is really a good photo of a new hatch) to see what the arms looked like when they were first born because I had no clue (and I half remembered a stripe pattern - mercs don't show a pattern like this so I noticed it when you posted). The absence of an explanation was intentionally devilish but the comparison was serious.

As I allueded to above, serpent typically only have 5 arms like most starfish so if you counted 6, keep guessing. I did try to find my night worm that looks like a serpent but never moves but I rearranged some of the rock in Puddles tank and I am afraid I moved it and can't find it now. I think the "arms" of this thing are much slimmer than what you are watching though.

Try touching an arm with a tiny piece of shrimp on a string and see if it grabs the string. Serpents can bend their arms a lot but you might be able to see more of what is under the rock.

sulley

Wonderpus
Registered
what gets me though is they look whiteish in the pic..this was the color i had seen but then green at night....oh well some days your the bug some days you are the windshield

Attachments

sulley

Wonderpus
Registered
there are 4 in that pic..maybe it was 5 i counted...she moves them in and out the holes pretty fast and with trying to angle myself i obviously miscounted

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielle Nicole

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak