• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Which is the Best Small Octopus to Keep?

octopet

Hatchling
Registered
Hi
I am new here and really want to get a pet octopus. What do you all think the best pet octopus would be it has to be small though...:roll:

I am wondering if you could answer a few questions for me.
I want an octopus that is small tentacles no bigger than 5 inches and a kind of flashy, colorful octopus. I would love it not to be nocturnal, but whatever works.
Thank you for your time.

octopet;183955 said:
Hi
I am new here and really want to get a pet octopus. What do you all think the best pet octopus would be it has to be small though...:roll:

I am wondering if you could answer a few questions for me.
I want an octopus that is small tentacles no bigger than 5 inches and a kind of flashy, colorful octopus. I would love it not to be nocturnal, but whatever works.
Thank you for your time.

Caribbean reef octopus (AKA Octopus briareus) was the only species I could come up with, pygmy octopus I'm sorry is nocturnal and I'm assuming that is probably why you ask this question in the first place.

This species requires 70 to 80 degree temps and has an average life span of about 1 year and a half. Briareus octopuses are shallow creatures and they prefer to have lots of dens available so keep that in mind. Do not add too much lighting to the tank, and adjust the salinity to 1.026 ppm.

Im sure that you know that their favored food are crabs, shrimp, clams, mussels etc. Do not feed them feeder goldfish for health reasons and also because they're fresh water. Goldfish also have a lot of sodium in their body so using them as food sources can dehydrate the octopus. Very important if your more used to feeding fish that require feeding every day like damsels triggers etc because of the specimens you have previously kept IS TO NOT OVER FEED. I know what your thinking, oh yeah I know that. But do feed them every 2-3 or 3-4 days.

This is just the tip of the ice berg on that species, always always always keep on researching. I've been researching for a good 7 years on saltwater aquariums and still haven't set up one yet.

:confused: Why would you suggest this species?

Octopus Briareus is one of the largest octopuses kept in the home aqaurium. They require a large tank of at least 75gallons, and some(Like mine) require larger tanks.

life span of about 1 year and a half.
18 months is the maxium, one year is the average for most octos except for some of the coldwater species. The dwarf species live even shorter lives. (by the time they get to the home aquarium the average life is only a month or two in the tank)

Do not add too much lighting to the tank
This is a common misconception normal lighting is fine.

I know what your thinking, oh yeah I know that. But do feed them every 2-3
2-3 days is fine. but every octo is diffrent I have had some that ate three times a day and some that onlt ate once a week. "they" say that if you feed them less they live longer.

There is not a commonly available octopus that fits that description.

The smallest octos for the aquarium would be one of the two Caribbean pygmy's Joubini and Mercatoris, or an Indonesian pygmy(more of a shot in the dark)however both of these are nocturnal and are usually very shy but there have been a few exceptions. they are also not typically very colorful(at least compared to other cephs). They both require a 30 gallon tank, with a protein skimmer.

For "colorful and flashy" i would suggest either a hummelinki or and one of the Adopus species. These octos require a tank of around 50 to 55 gallons and again with a protein skimmer.

Oh frick I totally forgot to read the 5 inches arm length thing whoops:oops:.

But if you still really want to get a small octopus there is no loop holes, the only ideal species are pygmy octopus (not like it's a bad thing but). Since it's nocturnal you can get some good looks of the octo if you put red light fixtures for the aquarium 24/7. Here's a web that have some good lighting fixtures.

http://www.buylighting.com/Red-Light-Bulbs-s/378.htm

Octopus diguti (my photo on the left side of the TONMO masthead) is about the correct size and is sometimes available. It is nocturnal, but in the aquarium is somewhat active during the early morning and evening.

Roy

Roy,
Is there a visual or other laymen distinguishing difference between diguti and mercatoris? I have noticed your other photo posts of diguti and cannot see how to tell them apart (other than possibly knowing if they come from the Pacific or Caribbean). I remember Greg posting that they have a nasty bite with effects lasting as long as a week. Are they more aggressive than the mercs (granted, this would not be hard to accomplish)?

I had an Indonesian dwarf and it displayed plenty of colour changes and texture variations, plus it was out in the day until it decided to brood. However it was virtually impossible to tell her from an aculeatus.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back