• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Where to Find Sepia bandensis

Hi,

I am currently enrolled at Alaska Pacific University and I am in the process of receiving m marine biology major. I am enrolled in an Aquarium biology class were we are to build and reconstruct a habitat of our choice.

This is what it boils down to...

My partner and I have been extremely interested in cuttlefish and are having some extreme difficulty in trying to find a cuttlefish for our tank set up.

If anyone has any resources to find this elusive creature in the US it would be greatly appreciated

AlaskanCuttle

Your best bet would be to find either eggs, or someone who has eggs that have hatched, and raise a baby. They are pretty difficult to keep though, but since you're a marine biology major, i'm sure you know that. Sounds like a cool project. Wish my High School would do stuff like that...lol.

Alaskancuttle;81288 said:
Hi,

I am currently enrolled at Alaska Pacific University and I am in the process of receiving m marine biology major. I am enrolled in an Aquarium biology class were we are to build and reconstruct a habitat of our choice.

This is what it boils down to...

My partner and I have been extremely interested in cuttlefish and are having some extreme difficulty in trying to find a cuttlefish for our tank set up.

If anyone has any resources to find this elusive creature in the US it would be greatly appreciated

AlaskanCuttle

Since this is associated with an academic institution, you can probably use some of the "research and education" sources that are closed to hobbyists, in the bottom table of this page. Of course, the top half is an option as well:

Sources of Live Cephalopods - The Cephalopod Page

good luck!

Shipping to Alaska might also be problematic. Yes, you are i the States, but not the continental. Might have to pass customs and everyhting going thru Canada, unless shipped by air. Are you going to be graded on survival rate of the cuttles? If so, I would try a different animal...

we will not be graded on the survival rate but as you would imagine it would be nice to keep a cuttle alive, we can do it but we need a cuttle for starters. A PhD said that he always uses fedex, and that they haven't let him down yet, and we would be doing air shipping, because that is the only way to get it here in time. Does anyone know about any adverse effects on cuttlefish at high altitude?

Alaskancuttle;81299 said:
we will not be graded on the survival rate but as you would imagine it would be nice to keep a cuttle alive, we can do it but we need a cuttle for starters. A PhD said that he always uses fedex, and that they haven't let him down yet, and we would be doing air shipping, because that is the only way to get it here in time. Does anyone know about any adverse effects on cuttlefish at high altitude?

Do you mean high altitude from shipping or for the animals living at high altitude?

I have shipped cuttlefish, flown with cuttlefish and been shipped cuttlefish without any noticeable adverse effect. It is best to ship eggs or very young cuttlefish, they seem to stress less.

I think the main problem was the flying...I checked into the academic resourceses and found the National Resource Center for Cephalapods, unfortunately they only allow academic purposes, however our proffesor will be able get ahold of one for us...which brings me to my next question, does anybody know anything about Sepia pharaonis and what the parameters are on tank size?

Alaskancuttle;81305 said:
I think the main problem was the flying...I checked into the academic resourceses and found the National Resource Center for Cephalapods, unfortunately they only allow academic purposes, however our proffesor will be able get ahold of one for us...which brings me to my next question, does anybody know anything about Sepia pharaonis and what the parameters are on tank size?

Right now the NRCC only has officinalis and pharonis which both need a large tank >150g. When I was there last month they had some officinalis eggs that where hatching out. I do not think the pharaonis would be laying eggs yet. Officinalis grow to about 12-15 inches and pharaonis a little bit larger. Officinalis need cold water (18C) while pharaonis need around 24C.

Alaskancuttle;81391 said:
how often do cuttles breed if they do breed at all.

Ha! Isn't that kind of necessary for the prepetuation of the species? :sagrin: Maybe its just my tired, wind-blown state of mind. Good luck with the cutte hunting; there's no better jungles than those of TONMO.com.

Cheers!

main_board;81484 said:
Ha! Isn't that kind of necessary for the prepetuation of the species? :sagrin: Maybe its just my tired, wind-blown state of mind. Good luck with the cutte hunting; there's no better jungles than those of TONMO.com.

Cheers!

Well, worker bees and ants don't breed, but their species goes on just fine :razz:

Just figured as long as you're being a bit contrarian, I could be contrarian back... :twisted:

monty;81487 said:
Well, worker bees and ants don't breed, but their species goes on just fine :razz:

Last time I checked, worker bees weren't a species of their own and ants definitely do breed! :cool2:
Many plants and corals can reproduce asexually, but most are also capable of sexual reproduction. And according to Wiktionary:

Search Breed
Verb: to breed
1. To sexually produce offspring.

Anyone else? :wink:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back