• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Where to find cuttle fish?

Hi am i new to these forms and i would like to purchase two dwarf cuttlefish and heard two people sell them form these forums? Also here is some information on the habitat.

38 gallon tall hex
100 gph protein skimmer (cover intake)
1 Nano Power
Normal lighting along with a red bulb (heard it makes them come out more?)
no lr as of now
I have a bag of ls mixed with home depot sand so i could make a deep sandbed
Biowheel

Coral going into it from my reef tank:
12 frillyt sponge frags
30 Shrooms
100 zoos
Gonna buy a gorgian for it

Cleaner crew (i know half pf it will dissapear :lol:)
Turbo/Nas snails
About 10 hermits that i hope it eats
And will it eat a tube worm or urchin?

Food i will feed it:
Live shrimp (mysis ghost brine)
I got a few cleaner clams if it like em
And my special carnivor frozen food (krill brine egg brine etc )

Now my question to you is will this setup be ok or no?

Also what type of plants and macro algea will it like? I am hoping in the future if all goes well i can breed em so thankyuo for your input.

:welcome: to TONMO. It sounds pretty good to me, but you should wait on recommendations from experienced cuttle-parents... I'm not at all sure about the corals, and I doubt the red light would make a difference for bandensis; they (and most cuttles) seem pretty happy at any light level... bobtail squids and dwarf octos are the ones that really benefit from the red lights.

Have you read this article?

Cephalopod Care

It should answer some of your questions.

Young S. bandensis eat live mysids. When they get larger, they can eat shore shrimp or crabs. Brine shrimp are never a good food for cuttlefish. You can sometimes wean then onto frozen mysids and shrimp, but it can take awhile.

Look at some of Thale's or Paradox's threads on S. bandensis.

thankyou for that but i already spend 2 hours reading on the great site of www.DaisyHillCephFarm.com and a cephalopod care page.

I guess i will be skipping out on the brine......now how about jawfish? i already breed em and get abouy 20 out the 30 or so to live for a month but then they die off......will the live one be ok for it? (so far i had 20 out of 120 succesful jawfish breedings)

edit*are you selling any cuttlefish?

I don't have any cuttles right now. In general, it is not recommended to keep fish with S. bandensis, since they usually become food for the cuttlefish when they get bigger. However, there have been a few members that have kept fish with cuttles successfully. Illithid was one such member.

As for temperature, I kept mine at about 78 F.

Hello, the tank would be perfect to house 2 adult sized Bandensis. The corals you describe are fine. They will also not eat your clean up crew. Shrimps and non hermit crabs will be food. Try to stay away from sharp urchins. The cuttles are very small for the first 2-3 months and it would be recommended to be kept in a breeder net to ensure they are eating. This will also give you an opportunity at around 1 month to get them to eat frozen mysids. Before this, it is absolutely necessary to feed them live foods. The best so far from our experiences is mysids.

Keeping eggs will require them to be in a breeder net as well. Also be wary of purchasing eggs. You cannot tell if the eggs are viable until after a couple weeks at least. Also the ratio for viable eggs compared to non-viable is usually rather dismal. Ive also become less trusting of selling eggs for they are very fragile. By the time I know the eggs are viable, the eggs have expanded causing the outer shell to be thinner. Just moving them often causes premature hatching which usually results in death. Because of this, I am a little hesitant to sell them unless the buyer fully understands that this is a risk they want to take.

Thales and I have been selling hatchlings or older. We ensure that they are readily eating first which can take up to a week after hatching. We have just sold our last batch of hatchlings. I am waiting for the next group of eggs to develop and hatch and will begin selling these once they are eating. Since demand is rising beyond my ability to replenish the supply, I will be taking a list of people that are serious in acquiring some.

You can see my selling post at this link
http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/9245/

My reef central thread describing the breeding experience can be found at My 150 Cuttle Farm Army Reef! (Picture Intense) - Reef Central Online Community

i am interested in keeping some cuttle

i can/will wait to recieve the cuttle's

i forgot to tell you that i have a 10 gallon food box i call it

its a ten gallon tank with paired emerald crabs, cleaner shrimp, and serveral other little inverts. This was due to my frogfish because it will only eat live food or lobster....

i am a serious buyer i have posted in your thread

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back