• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Where to buy octopus that are around 10" to 12"?

I've moved this over to the Octopus Care forum.... Are you looking to buy an octopus that grows up to that size, or are you looking to buy it at that size at time of purchase? I am not a tank owner so I can't be sure, but I would think Saltwaterfish.com is talking about current size (juvenile) vs. potential size. You'll want to identify your target species, and it's best to get them young vs. fully grown, since they don't live long.

I've moved this over to the Octopus Care forum.... Are you looking to buy an octopus that grows up to that size, or are you looking to buy it at that size at time of purchase? I am not a tank owner so I can't be sure, but I would think Saltwaterfish.com is talking about current size (juvenile) vs. potential size. You'll want to identify your target species, and it's best to get them young vs. fully grown, since they don't live long.
I prefer the common octopus than the Caribbean reef octopus. Yes, I prefer the larger size so that its easier to sex. I prefer the male because once the female lays eggs they dont live long.

If you want an octopus to live long, better to buy the smallest one you can get...Octopuses do not live long in captivity, regardless of sex...
Also, deciding on the sex of a common octopus is not that easy...Males need to be quite old to have visibly enlarged suckers.
I hope this info helps a bit with your choice. It would be a same if you found a large octopus with only a couple of weeks of life left...You will start wondering what you did wrong where, in fact, the octopus would have died anyway because of its age

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back