• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Where to buy octopus that are around 10" to 12"?

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
I've moved this over to the Octopus Care forum.... Are you looking to buy an octopus that grows up to that size, or are you looking to buy it at that size at time of purchase? I am not a tank owner so I can't be sure, but I would think Saltwaterfish.com is talking about current size (juvenile) vs. potential size. You'll want to identify your target species, and it's best to get them young vs. fully grown, since they don't live long.

I've moved this over to the Octopus Care forum.... Are you looking to buy an octopus that grows up to that size, or are you looking to buy it at that size at time of purchase? I am not a tank owner so I can't be sure, but I would think Saltwaterfish.com is talking about current size (juvenile) vs. potential size. You'll want to identify your target species, and it's best to get them young vs. fully grown, since they don't live long.
I prefer the common octopus than the Caribbean reef octopus. Yes, I prefer the larger size so that its easier to sex. I prefer the male because once the female lays eggs they dont live long.

TheSeeker

Blue Ring
Registered
If you want an octopus to live long, better to buy the smallest one you can get...Octopuses do not live long in captivity, regardless of sex...
Also, deciding on the sex of a common octopus is not that easy...Males need to be quite old to have visibly enlarged suckers.
I hope this info helps a bit with your choice. It would be a same if you found a large octopus with only a couple of weeks of life left...You will start wondering what you did wrong where, in fact, the octopus would have died anyway because of its age

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squishy2020

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak