• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Where is your tank, and does it make a mess?

All of my tanks are in aquarium rooms in my lab. They have floor drains and epoxy coverings. I would guess we have a couple of spills a month and not all of them are contained. I would never have an aquarium in my house! Just too many variables that I can't control.

Roy

:roflmao::roflmao:

Tile floors help but next house gets floor drains (not just for the fish tanks - dog mud is at least equally as dirty)! I am too messy with the water changes and cleaning (not to mention odd-ball equipment problems) to even consider putting one on a carpeted floor.

Off the top of my head, over the last year:

Hose clamp from overflow became loose after 4 years on the 140

Back siphon while filling new tank and testing pump (oversight)

Sump level too high to fully accomodate power outage (wrong leveling mark used)

Overflow hose popped out of filter sock and started draining the tank on the floor (could still happen)

Funnel popped out of sump while filling for water change (happens once a month or so)

Salt creep from cascade filter splash on feed tanks melted sheetrock (continual problem even with splash covers)

Husband sawed off part of hand while I was doing water change (don't want to go through THAT again)

Floor drains would be nice :sagrin:

Tommycs;133899 said:
Has anyone ever had any issues with a bad smell. Would it stink up my bedroom if I were a saltwater aquarium in there?

A clean tank is like aromatherapy for me.:yinyang: Immediate calm- I wish I could bottle and sell it. The only odor is the ultimate smell of "clean." Even my daughters lift the lid of a tank and breathe deeply when stressed out!

I'll never be without at least one tank in the house... even with tonnes in the shed :smile: Only one that is in the house now is my moray eel but I HATE salt creep!!!

Water, water everywhere and all the boards did stink

... OR ... how not to do a water change.

Wet weekend. First, I discovered water on the floor around the 140. Investigation showed a leak around the pump outlet (from the sump to the tank - external pump) and I gently twisted the connection. The connecting seal popped off and proceeded to dump roughly 10 gallons of water onto the floor before I could get everything turned off and remember the cut off valves to stop the reverse flow. Disassembling the unit found it not fixable for external use and the new one that is ordered is an in-sump style. The temporary one we Mcguivered is not back flow protected so we are keeping fingers crossed that we don't loose power for more than a few seconds when we are sleeping or out of the house (back flow valves are manual) until the new one arrives.

Next day, different tank, same results, I was doing a water change on the octopusless tank and got distracted with another project :old: for a few minutes. Returning to the house, I found a quarter inch of water on the floor and the tank half drained (I always drain this tank from the sump when it is occupied but obviously was not thinking when I put the siphon in the main tank).

Drains, the next house will have floor drains!

To add to the saga, after posting the above, the next day we found the garage flooded with saltwater. My RO unit and water storage is in the garage and I keep a pump in both the saltwater and freshwater buckets. We borrowed the pump from the saltwater tank as a temporary fix for the reef. The leaking pump (more powerful) was put in the salt vat. Our quick fix engineering did not allow for the extra power of the original reef tank and half the holding tank had been forcefully applied to the garage floor.

But wait, there is more ...

The night after cleaning up the saltwater we had a terrific set of thunderstorms and Neal assumed the new 1 inch of water on the garage floor was an aftermath but NOOOO. With my out of work status, we have not run the air but with temperatures in the mid 90's I could no longer control the tank temperatures with my fans and hourly bottle of ice in the sumps. We are NOT in AZ and our heat is NOT a dry heat so our AC units pull a lot of water out of the air. The tubing to run the condensing water to the outside is next to my aquarium work section in the garage and the outlet tube had been compromised by my storage drawer, allowing the water to find the floor and not exiting via the drain.

AND THEN

After I finished vacuuming the garage (again) I heard the OTHER wet vac going in the basement. Wading into the unfinished section found Neal vacuuming water. It seems that the water outlet of the other AC unit (we have 3) had cracked and created a mess there as well.

AND FINALLY (I hope)
I got our water bill today and it was 3 times the normal amount ($95). We are hoping this is a result of the dogs watering system leaking (discovered and fixed earlier this month) but are holding our breath for the next bill hoping something more sinister is not involved.

Hello I am new to tonmo and I was just wondering if i could use a 5 gallon tank half full of brackish water with a rock in it to house fiddler crabs. If so do i need a filter? what type? How many fiddlers could i cram in there? Your replys to my question are greatly apreciated :biggrin2:

If you will look in forums->Cephalopod Care->Sources for Cephalopods and Food->Keeping live food there are discussion on several options for food and suggestions on how to keep it. The thread Keeping live food in that forum might be your first read.

On the subject of your tank having an odor, maybe it's time to replenish your carbon. If your are not already, actively run it. I have noticed a slight odor during hot weather when I had a cooling fan blowing accross the surface of my 40. I changed the carbon and that helped a lot. A slight smell is normal but it should not be strong.

As far as my tanks makig a mess, I have 2 in my kitchen, one in the dining room and one in the living room. I have them all on hardwood floors. The tanks themselves never make a mess but I do. I overflowed when siphoning out the 50 in the kitchen a couple times. I must say water change days I can just mop up spills which are minimal. If I had to keep them in a seperate fish room or in the basement etc, I would not enjoy them as much. :smile:

I found a help with spills and splashing. Drs. Foster and Smith sells a very absorbant mat (not expensive) which will soak up an enormous amount of water. I always use it now when I work with my tanks (acutally, I use two of these mats!).

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back