Where in the UK

mr v

Hatchling
Registered
Can I buy octopus? I'm at the stage of finding out/costing etc at the moment, any help you guys can give would be gratefuly recieved...

:welcome: to TONMO.com Mr.V ,
You can find o.vulgaris in the UK, but there are a few cuttles species there, so you might also want to consider keeping one of those

joel_ang said:
You can find o.vulgaris in the UK, but there are a few cuttles species there

As I'm totaly fresh to this, you'll have to tell me how big vulgaris is, as I'd like to keep a smaller variety for obvious reasons... Hmm the cuttlefish idea :idea: is worth thinking about. I'm based in Watford, Colin, just north of London.

mr v said:
As I'm totaly fresh to this, you'll have to tell me how big vulgaris is, as I'd like to keep a smaller variety for obvious reasons... Hmm the cuttlefish idea :idea: is worth thinking about. I'm based in Watford, Colin, just north of London.
It depend's but my o.vulgaris "pinky" is roughly some 24 inches at the moment so you decide if you can house it in a tank, note: I have a 200 gL tank and a 100gL, I have my O. in the 200 gL tank.
How small of a pet do you want??
I got a euprymna that's about 25mm's big so it might be a good choice, I know that in west sussex they have a few LFS so check it out, check out LFS in west yorkshire also.

I havn't seen joubini in the UK.

Best bet might be to get a copy of Practical Fishkeeping and check out the ads at the back for an LFS near you... Then ask them if they order marine fish from TMC and would they order in an octopus for you specially and that you'll come and pick it up from them while it is still in the bag without them putting it into their tanks... TMC usually have octos in stock and they supply most shops with their marines. Most of the octopuses are Bali octopuses though and not ideal... :frown: so make sure and get them to ask TMC what species are in stock.

Now, you are probably going to hear all the usual guff that goes with asking an LFS anything about keeping octopuses, so just be aware that it's probably going to be 90% useless!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back