• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

where do i get flamaboyant cuttles???

Pretty much no where in the US. They come in very very rarely, are usually offered to research/institutions, and usually unhealthy.

There are two species, and there are questions regarding the sustainability of the one that does sometimes get sometimes imported. It seems like populations are in decline in the areas they are collected.

If they do come in, they will come in as adults, having not much life span left, and cost in excess of 300 dollars. I have had two over the years, and they lived, IIRC, 5 and 2 months.
Because of probable wild population issues, I wouldn't recommend getting any of these animals unless you can get enough to breed them, and that has simply, and sadly, not been possible in the states.

It is also important to note, in case you don't know, that these animals appear not just to have a toxic bite, but toxic flesh as well, so being bitten or even handling them may be very bad for your health.

BTW, welcome to TONMO!

thanks for the additional info, i had a nice tank set up and everything and i knew that they would be hard to get but i was hoping to be able to breed if i had the chance. i have been studying them for a while now and i think i have all the precautions down i would just need some to pass through any of the shops i browse or know of.

thanks though :]

we should try and go easy on the rare species- it'd be a shame for something so beautiful and that so little is known about to disappear from the earth.

Sepia Bandensis don't have as incredible coloration as Metasepia sp, however they are known to have healthy and stable populations in the wild, are collected much more often, and are a lot cheaper. You could get a large group of S. Bandensis for the price of one Metasepia Pfefferi. You can now even get captive bred Bandensis which guarantee a longer life and better adjustment to living in out of the wild (after all, they never have been there).

Most people would rather have a cuttlefish that lives 9 months and is active and fun to watch than 1 month moping around the tank and being unhealthy; especially when you compare the prices.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back