• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Where can i find a O. hummelincki?

calamari101

Cuttlefish
Registered
I am in search of an O. hummelincki. I would like a reliable source (not ebay unless you know its reliable). It could be a website or a fellow member. Thanks for all your help!

I think you're being very premature in looking for an octopus. From reading your other posts you don't even have a tank yet, let alone the live rock, etc you will need. Even after you have everything you need, you still have to cycle the tank for 3 months. I think you need to slow down, study everything that's available here to learn as much as possible,(which would have the extra benefit of giving you more time to save money so you can get the recommended 55 gal tank), and prepare you for all the other things you will have to know and pay for when the time is right for you to get that octopus you want so badly. You don't want to buy an octopus, put it in a too small or poorly cycled tank and have it die within days. That has happened to other people who have come here. They come back to try again, older, wiser, and poorer, but unfortunately an octopus (or cuttlefish)has died because they needed instant gratification. May I ask how old you are?

sorseress;116813 said:
I think you're being very premature in looking for an octopus. From reading your other posts you don't even have a tank yet, let alone the live rock, etc you will need. Even after you have everything you need, you still have to cycle the tank for 3 months. I think you need to slow down, study everything that's available here to learn as much as possible,(which would have the extra benefit of giving you more time to save money so you can get the recommended 55 gal tank), and prepare you for all the other things you will have to know and pay for when the time is right for you to get that octopus you want so badly. You don't want to buy an octopus, put it in a too small or poorly cycled tank and have it die within days. That has happened to other people who have come here. They come back to try again, older, wiser, and poorer, but unfortunately an octopus (or cuttlefish)has died because they needed instant gratification. May I ask how old you are?

Word.

sorseress;116813 said:

I am aware that i need more knowledge but i want to make a schedule.

You won't be able to schedule the availability of an octopus from any source. They come and go, and usually whichever business you decide to order from only has one or two in stock. You should do as already suggested. Let your tank cycle the 3 month period, and then once it's stable you start the waiting game again. Waiting for that right species to show up, that is.

Even when your tank is ready, and you order that "guaranteed bimac", you still might end up with something completely different on your hands..... such is found in the world of common names vs. latin/scientific which most LFSs go for the former..... even past that, most people arent experienced enough or cant(or wont) use the resources availabe to them. Just another bump in the road to successful ceph keeping. I do hope that you have patience, take the cycle time as study time, and then when the time is ready, you will be a happy ceph keeper(not to mention how happy the ceph will be with you knowing more about what youre keeping)

Realistically, you should probably be thinking of starting to look for your octopus in 9 months or more. Seriously, every step you plan on taking will more than likely take much more time than you expect. The same thing holds true with the money issue. Even very experienced ceph keepers have been stunned by how much it can cost to feed some very small cephs. To be successful, you need to be extremely patient, taking your time to make sure that you do everything right, and that you don't waste money in the process. We have people here who have been keeping cephs for years, have gone through many tank upgrades, and really know what they are doing. They really should be listened to. Patience will be you best friend in this process.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back